• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

Steel Rods Or Shot Peened Oe Rods?

pug_ham

I'm slowly putting an 83.5mm bottom end I've got & I'd like to make use of a higher rev limit without the chance of the standard rods failing. (7.5-8k)

Would I be better to blow the extra cash on some steel rods as a fit & forget solution or would a decent set of balanced & shot peened stress relieved standard rods be enough to suffice?

Its a long term thing as I've got my next engine already here waiting for me to fit the wiring etc into the shell but I'm distracting myself with ideas of a late non sunroof shell from a 205 auto turning into a Rallyesque 205.

Graham.

James_R

Std rods seems to be ok to 8k easily as long as they are on ARP end bolts, although I guess it also depends on the weight of the pistons you're using,

Given the choice of having to do either I'd opt for full steel as I'm not sure shot peening offers and additional strength in real world terms.

pug_ham

I've already got some ARP rod bolts so thats not problem, I understand the shot peening polishing would just remove any surface imperfections that might develop into cracks from sustained high rpm use.

I've got omega fordged pistons but I don't know the weight of them as they are presently assembled in teh bottom end I bought built but I'm going to use an Mi crank & as it needs a couple of liner seals, while its apart I could always do some more to it. :rolleyes:

I'll have to price some steeel rods up & also getting the standard rods shot peened & balanced etc to see what the difference in ost would be.

Graham.

pug_ham

I've just been speaking to Miles & I think for the rev range I'm looking at using I don't really need to invest in steel rods if the ones I have are in decent condition.

All he advised was maybe use some Mi rods for the bushed little ends (shame I've jst sold one to m@tt so I'm down to possibly two) but he said I need to check whats fitted to the bottom end I have because usually to have the fordged pistons fitted you have to use bushed rods anyway so i might already have some in there.

I'll be taking the engine apart in the next few days to see whats fitted.

Fingers crossed I'm in for a nice surprise. :unsure:

Graham.

James_R

Be interesting to see, I'd imagine they're bush fit jobs already rather than the std type. Good luck.

Is this the 1700cc bottom end that was up for sale recently?

16v205

I have a set of shot peened mi16 rods in the garage not being used :unsure:

Rich

28CRAIG

Paul has just got a bead blaster at 205 parts i am sure he will let you have a go next time your down.

pug_ham
Be interesting to see, I'd imagine they're bush fit jobs already rather than the std type. Good luck.

Is this the 1700cc bottom end that was up for sale recently?

No, I bought this over a year ago from notamondayfan on this forum but its sat waiting for me to decide on a plan & with winter approaching I thought I'd look into getting some bits done for it.

I have a set of shot peened mi16 rods in the garage not being used :(

Once I've got the engine apart & seen whats alrady fitted I could be in touch Rich. :(

Craig, nice to now Paul has now got a bead blaster but I might prefer it done professionally rather than having a go myself but I'll see whats involved first.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this