• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Furiousd

Rear Brake Caliper Problem**urgent Help**

Furiousd

Just taken my pads out and realised that this piston is seized. I imagine this is why the pad wore in the 1st place! Any ideas how I can fix this or will it need to go to a garage?

I will need my car for monday if possible

post-9805-1191688420_thumb.jpg

t16ryan

Are you winding it back? or pushing it back??

Furiousd
Are you winding it back? or pushing it back??

I'm trying to wind it back but it is really stiff

brianthemagical

use a clamp to hold pressure and then wind with some grips.

Furiousd
use a clamp to hold pressure and then wind with some grips.

Maneged to loosen it off winding back and forwards and spraying a bit of wd40. Now I've found that both pistons wont wind back enough. Given up for today but am I just being impatient as it feels like i've wound them off for ever and they don't seem to be far enoguh back to re fit the new discs and pads.

Bear with me as its the 1st time i've done them! but have I gone wrong somewhere?

Also now the piston is free should it now be ok or is it likely to seize again and wear the pad? I suddenly remember having this same problem with my old 309 gti, is ti fairly common?

Cheers

chris1986

you don't appear to have a boot cover on the piston that probs why its seized. are you also pushing the piston back aswell as turning it? try a bar while turing the piston back. if you've been turning them lots already then they're probs not seized

Furiousd
you don't appear to have a boot cover on the piston that probs why its seized. are you also pushing the piston back aswell as turning it? try a bar while turing the piston back. if you've been turning them lots already then they're probs not seized

Cheers, I'll give that a go tomorrow. It turning now after a bit of loosening off but wont go back enough. I'll try applying a bti of pressure against the back side of the disk with a scre driver (As it said in the haynes!). Any idea wher I can get the rubber boot from as I need to pjut it all back together again for Monday?

Ta

Chris

pug_ham

If you are turning the piston the right way you shuldn't need any pressure to force it back in, the piston only allows the inner nut to spin in one direction afaik so turning it should wind it back in as you turn it. (clockwise as you look at the piston iirc).

If you loosen the bleed nipple the piston will go back in easier.

To get a new rubber seal you have to buy a full caliper refurb kit which is only a few quid less than a refurbished caliper last time I enquired but your psiton looks pretty bad so maybe a refurbished caliper is a better idea.

Graham.

wildejon

Very slightly off topic... I'm just about to go out and buy a refurb kit but if its not much more expensive, where would I find a refurbished caliper? Would be a LOT simpler too!

Cheers

Jon

Revla
Very slightly off topic... I'm just about to go out and buy a refurb kit but if its not much more expensive, where would I find a refurbished caliper? Would be a LOT simpler too!

Cheers

Jon

Any parts places!

Roses, Camberly, GSF, Euro etc... even pug ones are likely to be refurb's.

Trev

Furiousd
If you are turning the piston the right way you shuldn't need any pressure to force it back in, the piston only allows the inner nut to spin in one direction afaik so turning it should wind it back in as you turn it. (clockwise as you look at the piston iirc).

If you loosen the bleed nipple the piston will go back in easier.

To get a new rubber seal you have to buy a full caliper refurb kit which is only a few quid less than a refurbished caliper last time I enquired but your psiton looks pretty bad so maybe a refurbished caliper is a better idea.

Cheers, I'll remember that for next time. I did eventually get the piston back, using a hammer and the old pad for leverage, and was able to get the new disc and pad on. The haynes manual said to apply an outward pressure!

I cleaned up the piston so that it was as free and the other side so hopefully it will now be ok. Is there any way I can check whether its seized again other than checking for excesive wear?

pug_ham

I got mine from my local motor factors but it was minus the pad guide which I had to swap from my old caliper.

Is there any way I can check whether its seized again other than checking for excesive wear?

No rear brakes effectivity at all on a wheel at an MOT test or a very hot rear disc after a normal drive.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this