• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainK

Bmc Cda In A 1993 1.9 Gti

CaptainK

I have a BMC Cardon Dynamic Airbox in my otherwise standard issue 1993 1.9 GTi. Its fitted in there, but its not perfect as the air intake runs next to the exhaust. :)

So I was wondering - has anyone else fitted one of these in a 1.9 and if you have any photos of it I would be VERY grateful if you could show them to me and give me any hints or tips.

Thanks.

CaptainK

I'm being a bit dopey, can't see the EDIT button for my post above. :)

Anyhows, here is a picture of my current install :

A Photo of my Engine Bay

As you can see, the BMC CDA fits in the same place as the original airbox. BUT, the wide stiff air intake pipe is too big to run across the top of the engine to the front of the car. At the moment it points downwards next to the brake fluid holder. Not exactly ideal as then it runs too close to the exhaust, thus defeating the point of having a COLD air system. :)

bales
I'm being a bit dopey, can't see the EDIT button for my post above. :)

Anyhows, here is a picture of my current install :

A Photo of my Engine Bay

As you can see, the BMC CDA fits in the same place as the original airbox. BUT, the wide stiff air intake pipe is too big to run across the top of the engine to the front of the car. At the moment it points downwards next to the brake fluid holder. Not exactly ideal as then it runs too close to the exhaust, thus defeating the point of having a COLD air system. :)

Run it straight out of your inlet manifold to behind your headlight, though you will have to buy/bodge/make an adapter, if it is too big to fit there then there isntt much you can do other than try and route the piping to the front of the bay where it is now.

CaptainK
Run it straight out of your inlet manifold to behind your headlight, though you will have to buy/bodge/make an adapter, if it is too big to fit there then there isntt much you can do other than try and route the piping to the front of the bay where it is now.

There is no way I can fit the BMC and the AFM in between the inlet manifold and the passenger side headlight. I've seent the articles on here for doing that with a cone filter (very cool indeed) but the BMC is waaaaayyyy too big.

I guess I'll have to try and find some more flexible "letterbox" shaped pipe so I can run it flat across the engine to the drivers side headlight. Any ideas on where to get such a pipe? :)

Batfink

you need to move your battery to the boot i'd imagine so you can get a more optimum position for the CDA

CaptainK
you need to move your battery to the boot i'd imagine so you can get a more optimum position for the CDA

Another good plan. Thanks my man. :D

In the longrun I have another project to remove the AFM system and replace it with a MAP system that I've seen implemented on Mitsi cars (AFM replacement to MAP) and the results have been good. This *should* give me enough space to put the BMC where the AFM currently is. Then I can run the intake downwards directly from that on the passenger side near the water cooler header tank.

Until then, I'm trying to work out how BMC themselves fitted it into the standard car - no pictures or assemble instructions were given. :)

vern

I know its a differnt application ie turbo, but you can see where and how I located the cda.

post-6217-1191325569.jpg

Edited by vern

GLPoomobile

IMO I'm not sure that the BMC CDA is really going to be beneficial on a standardish XU. I know they are supposed to give good gains, but whether they actually do on these engines is another matter. If it were me, I'd sell it on eBay and get a basic cone filter (you'll probably make a fair bit from it if you sell it).

If you are intent on using it, you could move the washer reservoir somewhere else and put the filter on top of the chassis leg (if it will fit) between the battery and inner wing. In theory this might give you enough space to route the inlet and outlet pipes, with the AFM placed down near the slam panel as per the usual induction kit set ups.

CaptainK
I know its a differnt application ie turbo, but you can see where and how I located the cda.

post-6217-1191325569.jpg

Thats FAB thanks. Any chance I could ask you to get a photo of the back part of the front of the car? i.e. the pipework coming from the inlet manifold to the AFM to the BMC - looking down at it from directly above? Also an underneath shot to see where you eventual intake goes to underneath and behind the engine would be fab. I know yours goes to a turbo, but just looking for ideas on what to attach it too so it avoids the exhaust and gets as much cool air as possible.

Its good to know that the BMC will fit where the AFM is, as my eventual plan is to get rid of that in favour of a MAP system and have the BMC exactly where yours is located now. :D

GLPooMobile - Thanks for your input too. I don't think the BMC will fit where the washer reservoir is, but I see what you are getting at. I am however confused as to where the "intake" end of the BMC would go as that would then be up against the passenger side strut tower, cornered in by the battery (the AFM and output pointing to the headlight).

Thanks to all for all the advice. :)

vern

To get it to fit in the position I have mine in, you have to convert to a coil pack, and ditch the dizzy and the afm. You will also have to source a smaller battery and move it forward and further to the side using a fabricated bracket, I used a battery from an MX5 aparrently they are a gell battery so give more cranking amps than a full size battery(£60 from MX5 speciallist).

the inlet (toward front of car) goes from filter down into the wheel arch then forward to just behind the front valance, The outlet(towards rear of car) goes to the turbo.

Looking at what you need you would have to swap how I have the filter, end for end, so the inlet would be to the rear of the engine bay.

will try and get pics tomorrow, if it would help.

CaptainK

Oh right, so the front of your BMC is actually the intake? I though the front of it was going straight into the inlet manifold and you had the turbo and inlet at the rear behind the engine.

Yes, you are right - I'm hoping to have mine the other way round to yours - cold intake from the rear through the BMC and then round to the inlet manifold at the front. This'll only happen when I ditch the AFM. A bit long winded I know, but it means I get to have a play with my Pug and try out some new things. :D

Photos would be most helpful, thanks. I'm also interested to hear how you ditched the Dizzy for a coilpack? Do you have a write up or "how to" guide anywhere? I'm guessing its not a simple task to do. Thanks again.

vern

As promised some pictures.

to use a coil pack you need programmable ecu I used Emerald. To remove dizzy you need the thermostat housing from a newer model citron or peugeot with a coil pack.

CaptainK

I better add my reply again after the DB crash - thanks for the photos Vern and the following explanation of them that has now disappeared from the forum :rolleyes:

sussex_gti

captainK, cheers for the link. How have you got on fitting yours? I think i'm going to move my battery to the boot, junk my washer resevoir and use the rear washer bottle to do the fronts. I'll let you know how it goes.

CaptainK
How have you got on fitting yours? I think i'm going to move my battery to the boot, junk my washer resevoir and use the rear washer bottle to do the fronts. I'll let you know how it goes.

Junking the front washer bottle would be nice to free up some space.

My BMC is currently fitted - see my engine bay photo. I'm not happy with it though as the intake pipe to it runs too close to the exhaust so its breathing hot air which defeats the point of having a cold air intake system like the BMC CDA. May as well just bought a cone filter type thing.

Sign in to follow this