• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joelpsmith

N/s Driveshaft Won't Go In.

joelpsmith

Just got a re-manufactured driveshaft from Euro Car parts, and after about an hour of trying I still can't get the end to insert fully into the diff. The wheel end goes in no problem at all.

I have tried a search on this forum and found the measurements of 26mm Diameter and 24 splines on the diff end and 27mm and 25 splines on the wheel end. This appears to match up to what I have but i don't have the original shaft to compare it with as i handed this over for the surcharge.

has anyone had problems fitting a shaft from Euro Car Parts, i just can't see any reason why it wouldn't go.

All the shops are shut now and i really wanted to get this finished today.

hengti

can't remember but is there a circlip in the end of the shaft?

it might need pursuading in with a soft faced mallet - i'd be gentle though just in case it's not the right shaft (?)

joelpsmith

No, there is no circlip, heres a picture of the end.

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

the only thing i can think of is that the spline look a little fat when you compare it to the grooves on the diff.

sussex_gti

new shafts can take a while to go in. I usually wind the nut on to the outer joint, put the socket over that and then tap it with a copper hammer.saves damaging the thread on the outer joint.

Phil H

Which side shaft is it, as inner ends are different for each side?

Have you replaced the driveshaft oil seal for the wrong one?

If drivers side shaft, have you turned the bolts on the intermediate bearing 90 degrees, so the bearing passes by their heads?

Spiky
new shafts can take a while to go in. I usually wind the nut on to the outer joint, put the socket over that and then tap it with a copper hammer.saves damaging the thread on the outer joint.

thats exactly what would i did

joelpsmith
Which side shaft is it, as inner ends are different for each side?

Have you replaced the driveshaft oil seal for the wrong one?

If drivers side shaft, have you turned the bolts on the intermediate bearing 90 degrees, so the bearing passes by their heads?

no its the passenger side shorter shaft so no intermediate bearing. It is just getting the splines in the diff that is the problem the oil seal hasn't been change.

jeremy

I may be talking utter rubbish here. If you undid the gearbox oil filler nut would this not then release air pressure allowing the driveshaft to go into the dif fully.

welshpug
I may be talking utter rubbish here. If you undid the gearbox oil filler nut would this not then release air pressure allowing the driveshaft to go into the dif fully.

a feasible thought, but theres a breather on the top of the box so it cant be that.

is the other driveshaft out of the box by chance? on very early BE boxes the diff can drop if both shafts are removed, othetr than that there's nothing that can prevent the shaft from sliding in bar severe misalignment and incorreclty supplied parts.

joelpsmith
a feasible thought, but theres a breather on the top of the box so it cant be that.

is the other driveshaft out of the box by chance? on very early BE boxes the diff can drop if both shafts are removed, othetr than that there's nothing that can prevent the shaft from sliding in bar severe misalignment and incorreclty supplied parts.

I am reluctant to hit it hard, because its a quaife diff and i reallly don't want to damage the spline on it.

The other shaft is still in place, so the diff can't have dropped down, and it is a later box, 1994 car.

I have changed drive shafts before and never had to force them into place (except the intermediate bearing) they normally just slide it.

I'm going to try and get my hands on a GKN shaft tomorrow and see how that goes, i'll report back.

The only thing i can think of is that the shaft i have has not had the splines machined correctly to fit.

danpug

Dosen't sound right to me, all the shafts i've fitted have slid straight in, bar the occasional drivers side one as you said.

pug_ham

I'd try another shaft, it should just slide in as already said & no force is needed to fit them. Certainly no need for a hammer!!

If it won't go in, take it back & ask for another before resorting to forcing it in.

Graham.

Peetypug
I'd try another shaft, it should just slide in as already said & no force is needed to fit them. Certainly no need for a hammer!!

If it won't go in, take it back & ask for another before resorting to forcing it in.

Graham.

as above

although most parts of a 205 need a hammer to fit/remove :lol: i would defo take it back and swap it first!

it really doesnt sound right to me.... i've fitted quite a few new shafts and never had this problem

Ryan

Any chance you've been given a base-model shaft by mistake?

taylorspug

Ive had a couple that have take a while to locate properly into the box, although its never been more than a five minute 'take it out and put it back in a few times' sorta problem. I find it works if you take it out and slide the driveshaft round a spline or two, then try fitting it again.

Alastairh
Just got a re-manufactured driveshaft from Euro Car parts.

Talking from experience.

I have had problems with miss match ends of splines from ECP.

I spoke to Anthony about this, and basically i had been given a shaft (309 one) for one that had a spline from a really early 309 which are different to the later ones which were all use to.

There was deffinatly a difference in spline though compairing it to ones that i had spare lying around.

Thats what id do in your case :lol:

Alastair

joelpsmith

Thanks for all the replies. I got it sorted today by getting another shaft from GSF, this was a GKN branded one and slotted straight in without any problem.

you can see in this picture below that the spline are slightly different. The GKN ones are more tapered which is obviously correct, so be care full what you buy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/joe...th/IMG_2052.jpg

Sign in to follow this