• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Removing Mi16 Valves / Fixing Valve Stems / Etc

eob

Need to refurb the head on my Mi16 which involves, obviously, removing all the valves and replacing the stem seals etc.

1. How do you remove the valves?

2. How do you remove the stem seals? :D

3. Any recommendations for bedding valves back in?

4. Anything else I should be upto? :wacko:

Doof

1. Spring compressor to compress the valve spring then take the two collets off the top of the valve stem and release the spring, think it comes off after that, fairly straightforward.

2. I believe stem seals just tap out with a mallet.

3. no

4. Probably

welshpug

1, spot on DOOF, IIRC youll need a deeper than std spring compressor.

like this one - 040211434.jpg

this particular one is the same as one I bought from machine mart for £35

>link to spring compressor<

2, not quite, a pair of pliers and carefully grip them as far away from the base as possible, so that you arent just squishing the seal onto the valve guide.

new ones just press on, use a suitable deep socket to push them home.

3, get some grinding paste, coarse and fine, and a stick.

you need a dull non-pitted line on the valve and the seat, dont rub too hard, tap the valve and see what kind of ssound it makes, its hard to describe but it makes a distinctive sound when its lapped in correctly.

4, not really, if you realy must you could clean up the casting marks and line up the ports, but theyre generally pretty good.

eob

When I gazed (longingly) in the top of the engine, I could only spot buckets, but not individual springs. What am I missing here? :wacko:

welshpug

you need to remove these into individually marked containers, a carry box with dividers is ideal, the springs are underneath the buckets.

place the tappets upright in oil, so they dont drain and suck in air.

eob

How do you remove them? Very big hammer? Vice grips? Shotgun?

PS. Sorry for all the n00b questions. Never rebuilt an Mi16 before. I'll be back later to ask why my bonnet has 16 little dents in it where the valves flew out when I fired it up. Honestly. Where would I be without you lot?

welshpug

none of the above!

the suction cup thingy that you use to lap the valves should be ideal for pulling the tappets out, you dont want to mix them up at all, so turning the head upside down isnt advised.

Doof

Sorry i was thinking valve guides, the stem seals just pull off.

M@tt

with regards to point 2 i'd recommend getting a proper pair of stem seal pliers if you intend to do the job more than a couple of times as using regular pliers can be a right pain as you have to give them some serious pulling to get them off

They're a bit pricey

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=2...ight-16-24valve

alternatively a set of pliers like these may be more useful

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...-locking-pliers

Normski
How do you remove them? Very big hammer? Vice grips? Shotgun?

PS. Sorry for all the n00b questions. Never rebuilt an Mi16 before. I'll be back later to ask why my bonnet has 16 little dents in it where the valves flew out when I fired it up. Honestly. Where would I be without you lot?

I use a magnet to remove the Hydraulic lifters (buckets). They are very slippery customers.

ORB

Yup, a magnet on a stick as i call it is the daddy for this job!

Sign in to follow this