• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mista Weava

Braking Applications For 1.6 Gti

Mista Weava

The question is two-fold.

1. do people consider the std 1.6 brakes adequate for a 1.6 track car.

I have managed to warp the Pagid grooved discs on this car and that was under [very] hard road use.

is it therefore possible to use a disc and pad combo which will work well on the track [the car is track specific]?

2. if not, what available conversions are worth doing and will fit under the 14" wheels? [we have lots of 14" speedlines kicking around]

Baz

Stick some 1.9 calipers on there with some half decent pads and decent fluid and you should be more than happy! :) U may need to grind a little corner off the calipers to fit the 1.6 wheels though, sometimes not.

Edited by BazGTMi

Mista Weava

are the 1.9 calipers that much more beefy?

also, do you think the 1.6 brakes will wilt?

thanks for the advice :wacko: .

Livelee

I've still got the original calipers from my 309 kicking about mate.

Mista Weava

nice one Dan.

VisaGTi16v

I run standard 1.6 calipers with standard discs, braided hoses and mintex 1155 pads (recently replaced pagid fast roads) and have no problems competing in sprints or on trackdays and thats stripped out with an Mi16 so fair bit of speed going on

pug_ham
266mm brakes fit from 405s and 306s.

266mm ones from a 405 need the caliper yoke grinding to clear the hub so they don't fit straight on, 306 one's do though but for this you need 1.9 GTi or base model hubs.

I ran my GTi mainly as a track car for two years with standard 1.6 Bendix front brakes & ATE powerdiscs with no complaints but when I fitted the 309 GTi wishbones & druiveshafts I swapped to 266mm set up at the same time.

I never got any fade or warped any discs with the standard set up on my car so for a track 1.6 a decent set of discs & pads should be fine in standard size imo.

Graham.

Mista Weava

perfect.

no reasons to spend out on brakes.

splendid news.

project "shoe-string" is in action.

:)

Sign in to follow this