• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kevp's 205gti

Stripped Out Door Cards

kevp's 205gti

hi guys im looking to shred all weight from my 205gti including the door cards so was thinking of removing all things i no longer need eg,door pockets speakers etc.

relocate the window switches to the dash.

Then using the original door cards as a template cut some sheet aluminium up in the shape of the card and pop rivet it onto the door and then mount all the handles tec.

But sheets of aluminum probably won't work out cheap will it (look good though :) ).

Any pics of previous ones or just advise please guys.

rapidmi

85 qid on the bay will see u 205 carbon ones

Bonzai

arent the standard ones only made of cardboard type stuff anyway? i bet they arent very weighty

Dj_mini

Dont put any back in is the lightest way :)

sonofsam
arent the standard ones only made of cardboard type stuff anyway? i bet they arent very weighty

Thats what I was thinking too! Why replace them at all, cut the innner skin out and leave it at that?

Alu is not cheap, well for me it is :)

rapidmi

if ur gonna be usi ng it on the track get rid of the standars ones there highly combustable

Baz

mechanical windows rather than leccys, cut out all the inner skin that isn't needed to hold windows, locking mechs etc, and if need be cover with a thin sheet of plastic type material, like Kaylan for example.

All Praise The GTI

has anyone got personal experience with the bay ones?

i just checked seem good quality

jackherer
has anyone got personal experience with the bay ones?

i just checked seem good quality

A mate of mine recently bought a 205 with some fitted, hes pleased with them and is going to keep them but we don't see the point in paying to add weight even if its carbon fibre so we wouldn't actually buy them for £85

All Praise The GTI

can anyone find out who makes them and maybe arrange a group buy?

they would be nice way to finnish of and tidy up interior esp. for track cars.

id have front and rear, but £150 is alot when they are just for show really

Miles

They are just down the road from the Girlfreinds parent's place, so one day i will pop in there and see them.

Ryan
arent the standard ones only made of cardboard type stuff anyway?

They're wooden iirc.

tom_m
They're wooden iirc.

some sort of fibreboard yeah, somewhere between cardboard and mdf

kevp's 205gti

ok then do i go fiber board or stainless steel sheets both i will be obtaining for free as a mate has sorted me.

what would be best poprivited sheet stainless or trim plugged fiberboard painted?

Baz

neither, thin ally is lighter! :blush:

tom_m

i'm just not using any at the moment B)

I've stuck the window switches to the door with double sided sticky tape and i'm using the grab handles from the roof as interior door so they fit around the cage.

sonofsam
neither, thin ally is lighter! B)

What I would say also. something between .5 and 1.5mm I would guess , preferabley with black inked lettering on the sheet. :)

or none at all as said!

Baz
i'm just not using any at the moment B)

I've stuck the window switches to the door with double sided sticky tape and i'm using the grab handles from the roof as interior door so they fit around the cage.

Exactly as i've used as handles! They fit perfectly into the old holes in the door for the overweight std door handles and weigh next to feck all! :)

Bonzai

ive used black webbing, im sure its even lighter B)

kevp's 205gti
neither, thin ally is lighter! :)

ok cheers only the s/s heet and fiberboard is free thouhg B)

dirtdog

hi sorry to interupt/hijack , but i don't want to open another thread and have people shouting etc.lol

i'm using alloy on the doors and riveting them on, cause it's light and i can paint it the actual body colour to bring a bit more life inside, cause this potato sack brown colour inside my STDT is rank. The doors will be easy to do..but then i will be stuck with the normal rear card things then!

anyone got pics of the rear parts done too or have you just left them alone or just open?

Sign in to follow this