• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

Dim Battery Warning Light

jackherer

For about two years my battery/alternator light has faintly glowed with the engine running, before I reshelled my 205 it didn't do this so after a brief attempt to fix it I just put it down to a slightly bad earth or something. In all that time the battery voltage has been perfect and the charging voltage has always been well above 14 volts so I just ignored it.

Finally the other night (at about 3am) the light got brighter, my headlights got dimmer, my aftermarket tacho started flashing like a disco light and eventually the engine started misfiring and then died. I managed to get off the main road and abandoned it in the entrance to a field. Luckily I was only two or three miles from home so I walked home and got a lift back in the morning with a charged battery which got me all the way home.

A couple of days later I collected my tools and a spare alternator from a mates and opened the bonnet, a brief check found that the main battery-starter motor-alternator wire was disconnected from the alternator, the ring connector had snapped. Alarmingly it was very close to the inlet manifold and there was some exposed metal which would have started a fire if it had touched. A chill went down my spine as I pictured my pug sat in a field burned out.

I crimped a new ring connector on and bolted it to the alternator and its now charging perfectly again, but with one important difference, the battery light is completely off with the engine running! The ONLY difference is the new ring connector so I wish now I hadn' t ignored it for two years.

When I refitted the wire to the alternator I made sure to fit the original rubber insulator which I assume is partly there to reduce the fire risk in just this situation but I also put insulating tape around the crimp part of the ring connector in case it ever happens again.

alexmi16

did you make sure the brown wire was also plugged back into the alternator when you were finished? The cable and spade on mine had corroded causing a dim battery light just like yours!

alex

hodgy

thanx for that! mine has started to do it now so ill have a look at the ring thing

Anthony

Was it on dim all the time regardless of electrical load, or the usual 205 trick of being on dimly with the interior fan on full speed?

maturin23

I have this problem too!

I assumed it was just a tired alternator- but I'll do some proper checks asap seeing as the Pug has become now become first-choice vehicle for my wife and son (despite the nearly new Focus on the drive!)

jackherer
did you make sure the brown wire was also plugged back into the alternator when you were finished? The cable and spade on mine had corroded causing a dim battery light just like yours!

alex

When I reshelled my car I made up a new sensor loom including that wire so I knew that wasn't the cause.

Was it on dim all the time regardless of electrical load, or the usual 205 trick of being on dimly with the interior fan on full speed?

It was on all the time, extra load didn't seem to make much/any difference.

Edp

Funking lucky you checked it really. All that time you had a faintly glowing light it was a breaking or broken corroded ring crimp lug.

A thing worth about 2p could have written off your car. Makes you think dosen't it.

Paintguy

A good bit of advice there, and going by my own experiences as well, it might be worth everyone checking the condition & tightness of the alternator connection.

For a long time I had I dimly glowing charging light, which got worse when the heater blower was on full blast. Then when I started installing my ICE I upgraded all of the charging and earthing wires under the bonnet to much thicker 4AWG stuff with new connectors, including the alt to bat wire you mention.

Since then the charging light has stayed firmly out :)

jackherer

The dim battery light has come back... Its not on all the time any more, it comes on with the fan etc in the classic way. I'll put a multimeter on it later to see whats going on.

I think I'll probably get some new fat cables like Paintguy has done, all 205 wiring is corroded these days and its best to just throw it away and start again.

Paintguy

I suppose I should have mentioned it before, but I also upgraded all the earths whilst I was at it, using the same gauge wire.

I went slightly overboard and did:

Battery - Chassis

Battery - Gearbox

Chassis - Gearbox

The last one isn't really necessary, but I had a bit of wire left :)

If you want some fat wire give me a shout, as I may have some spare, or be able to get you some for peanuts.

Sign in to follow this