• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest komer

Xu10j4 (S16) Or Xu9j4 (mi16)?

Guest komer

well,iam about in some problems,i have a 406 coupe,heavy car,but maybe i want a little more juice...i have two options,a buy S16 engine or mi16, and put throttle bodies on, cams,standalone ecu...i know that many people would say "why not a turbo",answer is realy simple,i like N/A power:)

i would like to know,which of these 2 engines have better potential for N/A tuning...V6 is an third but very expencive option,so i will upgrade part by part,because i dont have money for buying whole "tuning" parts for engine atm...first thing is engine,so plz help me....tnx

pugman211

only real answer to that is the search bar! Do your research of both engines cos u will find countless threads on upgrades for both units.

However if u intend to use the car for track days, then the Mi16 suffers from oil surge so i believe. it can be easily resolved by a few small upgrades to the oil pump.

Good luck in your search and keep us updated!!!

Guest komer

hehe,only anwser that i didnt want to hear is "search bar"....ive read numerous of threads,and didnt realy find the answer for my questions...i dont intend to use track for track days,it is every day car,maybe i will go on the track,but must keep function of car for every day...

cheers

VisaGTi16v

Even the lowest 2 litre 406 coupe is probably 150bhp or something so little to gain from putting in a S16 or Mi16 even if with carbs? If you like your 406 it would be far cheaper to sell it and just buy a V6 one

jackherer

You want to put either an XU9J4 or an XU10J4 into a 406 coupe? XU10 everytime, XU9 into a 406 would be wrong in so many ways.

Personally I would just buy a 406 V6, they are heavy old cars and you need all the torque you can get.

Guest komer

coupe 2.0 is a 97kw engine ~ 135bhp,V6 is most expencive option because insurance....for V6 insurance is round 500,for 2.0 is around 250.....

pugman211

couldn't u keep the 2.0 coupe engine and upgrade that???? like cams and throttle bodies!?!?! wont be far off what an Mi od S16 would give.

secondly, if u change the engine, how will THAT effect the insurance premium????? U may find it cheaper to just get a V6 and be done with. Its all about the pennies!!!! :) No scrap that, its all about the power and torque!!!!!!!!! :) Pennies just decide when u get it!!!!!!!! :)

KRISKARRERA

I've spotted near enough mint 406 V6 Coupes going for about £2.5k so I reckon you'd be better off just buying one ready made, but yeah insurance is high on those.

Guest komer

well,i dont have money for all things that i want to buy,first i will buy engine,then throttle bodies,then cams,ecu ect...next thing is that a spare engine is good to have:)

i need car every day,so is bad to work on car and if something goes wrong,i dont have car:(insurrance for 2.0 is same....i can put 2.0 engine in my car without worry about ensurance,but if i put V6 i need atest car(200)+insurance....here in croatia coupes are very expencive...i foud my for 6800because i bought it from my best friend,but prizes are about 8000+ for 2.0 and 8500+ for V6:(

Miles

If you must keep a 2.0 engine then you want the XU10J4RS, 167bhp out the box, But I would go the V6 all day long, It's a better engine and shouldn't blow up

Guest komer

hehe...RS is hard to find in croatia,afaik there are 2,maybe 3 gti6 here....not like in uk...

Henry Yorke

XU10 everytime. It is one number more than the XU9 and therefore newer!!! It the old engine was so good, Peugeot would not have changed it. Agree with Miles the XU10J4RS is the best. Worth importing one

Emmy Seize
hehe...RS is hard to find in croatia,afaik there are 2,maybe 3 gti6 here....not like in uk...

Right, there are 7, actually.

But you could kill one of the 13 Xsaras available... ;)

KRISKARRERA
XU10 everytime. It is one number more than the XU9 and therefore newer!!! It the old engine was so good, Peugeot would not have changed it.
Yes but the XU10J4 obviously wasn't better than the XU9J4 because with the XU10J4RS they returned to an XU9J4 style inlet and squish.

Sign in to follow this