• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

1.9 Mi Vs 2.0 Mi/s16 Oil Pump

Stu

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some one had helped the surge issue on the Mi by fitting an XU10 sump and 2.0 Mi oil pump to the 1905 Mi, as im rebuilding my bottom end at the moment now would be in ideal time to swap over to the 2.0 item, provided that A) it fits, and :ph34r: its a worthwhile upgrade? Also, as regards the uprated spring thing, i gather that the XU10 spring is slightly uprated over the XU9, i take it if i bought a 2.0 oil pump it would already have this spring fitted?

Answers on a postcard...

pug_ham

I think the XU 10 pump wheels have a different number of teeth on the pump cog & crank cog along with a different length of chain so you'd have to be sure to get everything to suit but they will fit straight on afaik.

The XU10 pump will should the spring iside when you get one.

Graham.

stux

First of all try to search the forum because you can find a lot of information about mi16 oil surge.

The S16 (xu10) pump is almost identical, springs are the same. Only crank wheel are different xu9j4 – 22T, xu10 26T, and XU10 has a longer chain. So if you want to upgrade your engine the most important thing is to change the sump and extend the pump pickup!

http://www.taylor-eng.com/sump/wetsump.htm

Stu

Cheers for that bud, i remeber reading that page a bit back but couldnt remember the thing about the pump.

i think for now ill use an XU9 pump with an XU10 spring, XU10 sump and a baffle plate on the pump, think that'll work?

stux

As I wrote the springs are exactly the same so there is no need to change them! If you use only xu10 sump without extended pickup it will be only a little bit better than standard.

James_m

The baffle plate does'nt fit on the XU9 pump iirc.

Anthony
The baffle plate does'nt fit on the XU9 pump iirc.

The baffle plate does fit just fine, the chain cover does not (as the holes aren't there on the XU9 pumps)

James_m
The baffle plate does fit just fine, the chain cover does not (as the holes aren't there on the XU9 pumps)

Yep, my bad. Been ages since ive actually seen an oil pump now!

Stu

Ok, so this is the plan, XU10 sump, extended pick up, oil pump baffle plate.

Im a little confused as to the 'uprated' spring argument, i thought i remember reading that the so called group a spec springs were just Xu10 ones? But Stux is saying that the springs are the same in both the Xu9 and 10, so which spring do i need to upgrade?

James_R

I'm sure the springs are different between the XU9 and 10 pumps as the XU10 spring is the pugsport upgraded spring to give the 6 bar.

If the spring was the same how does the max pressure of the pump change? <_<

James_R

Weird the XU10J4 pumps I've taken apart have been longer than the XU9 ones I've taken apart :S

Sign in to follow this