• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Honda Powered Kit Car

welshpug

My friend Richard and I are planning to build a car, powered by a Honda engine (for reliability and toughness coupled with power and revs)

it will be mid-read engined, and be built on the same principles as an Ariel Atom.

unfortunately we have a rather small budget, so we cant fabricate much in the way of suspension parts, but chassis/spaceframe work and engine mounting fabrication wouldnt be out of our means.

our main problem is what suspension systems would we use, on the frotn to be compact, and on the rear to accomodate the honda drivetrain.

my first thoughts were to use a rover 100 (METRO) subframe and running gear with the honda powerplant seeing as theres a few metro's and mini's about runing hinda power, But I'm unsure as to how involved even this conversion is.

what are your thoughts peeps?

a few additions, it will wither be run on the original injection, OR on cbie carbs or throttle bodies, current engine of choice would be a Civic 1.8 engine, as they are cheap enough and reasonably powerfull IIRC?

Sandy

A good choice of engine. You might want to check out the most basic Silva "Riot" kit, it's probably as cost effective as doing it yourself.

Ryan

Why not use the subframe from the honda? That way you get all the mountings for the wishbones, and you can use the standard honda driveshafts. All you'd need to build is the top mounts for the shocks.

Sandy

Easier said than done, struts will be very high on a kit car. The other thing is the enormous bushes Honda use as standard.

Batfink

By a caterfield and shoehorn an s2000 engine in :)

welshpug
By a caterfield and shoehorn an s2000 engine in :lol:

not an option, we want the engine in the back :)

thanks for the input, we'll do some more digging and brainstorming :)

mi16nut

I'm seriously considering a MEV Rocket (www.mevltd.co.uk); exoskeleton like an Atom, based on a Focus doner & just up the road from me. Kit starts at £3500. I expect you could convert it to Honda power with a bit of fabrication. If I end up going for it, the 205 will have to go to part fund the build, so I will have to put up with pootling in a 1.2 Clio & Scenic for a year or so.

Mark.

Edited by mi16nut

Sign in to follow this