• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skeggyrik

2 Row And 3 Row Ecu's For Mi16

skeggyrik

I have 2 Row ECU BX Gti engine in the blue 205 (well for now as it's coming out tomorrow morning for a rebuild!)

How much work is involved in taking a 2 Row ecu run engine and converting to 3 Row with knock sensor?

Are the looms the same or similar with the addition of the Knock sensor?

Do all Mi's have provision for the fitting of a knock sensor or is it only engines originally fitted with one?

If I can get hold of 3 row ecu I'd rather be running with knock sensor, as I presume the ecu can be that bit more aggressive with the timing and make better use of higher RON fuels. The black one runs a 3 row ECU and I like it. Shame I can't compare the two back to back.

jackherer

The only real difference is the knock sensor itself, you'll need to change a bolt for a stud to hold the sensor.

When I reshelled my 205 I swapped from two row to three row and I didn't notice any difference at all, then when I had some problems I wrongly suspected were loom related I swapped back to two row and again I didn't notice any difference.

skeggyrik

I don't know how much difference the alternate ecu's make, I seem to remember a post showing rolling road results using the different ecu's (might have been PeterT?) In theory the 3 row with knock sensor will be a "better" ecu as it has the abilty to advance the timing until knock is detected, making the most of the fuel, where as a 2 row will have timing set at safe level for all occasions.

In day to day use it may prove insignificant, as you have found yourself. I haven't had the opportunity to try it back to back.

I just want it to be the best it can be without going to the expensive extremes of aftermarket management. Seems it might not be worth it....

KRISKARRERA

But isn't the benefit of the knock sensor really that if you have no choice but to use low octane fuel the ecu can retard the timing thus eliminating any possible engine damage? Many people have run the 2 row jobbies aka 119/125/139 aka any UK 405 Mi16 before chassis number 7000000, on 95 octane unleaded and had no apparent problems. Even mags reviewing the car from 1988 said it would tolerate unleaded. But the official thing from Pug is that Super unleaded must be used.

I wonder if they'd be a benefit in using the cat engines management? Then you'd have lambda for even more accurate fueling and timing. Where's Petert, be interested to know what he thinks about that.

Edited by KRISKARRERA

Henry Yorke

I use the 3.2 system with a knock, MAP and Lambda sensor and it seems to sort out my concoction of an engine ok. I would not have been so confident if the ECU did not understand the fueling, pressure and timing.

Sign in to follow this