• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Roy

Removing A 1.6 8v Engine

Guest Roy

as title, how easy is it to remove the standard 1.6 8v engine. is there a lot of work involved

im wanting to have a go at removing it myself so i can get it ready for paint and refitting of a new engine.

whats you opinions?

j_turnell

My first bit of advice would be to get a some decent tools if you've not already. Theres nothing worse than trying to do a job with lack of the correct tools. Personally i use mainly snap-on as i did this for a job as they have unquestionable quality, but going down you local halfords and gettting a socket set from their professional range should certainly do the job, rachet spanners, decent screwdriver set, allen keys, pry bars, big hammer! All essential when working on a 205.

I start at the bottom and work up.

- Put the car on axel stands.

- Drain all fluids, oil, water, gear oil.

- Remove drive shafts.

- Bottom engine mount.

- Exhaust, clutch cable, gear linkages, speedo cable.

- Disconnect all fuel pipes and water pipes.

- Unplug all wiring.

Then really you need an engine hoist and a load leveller to pull it out the top, you can drop it out the bottom but im not a big fan of this as you often hit the subframe etc and it becomes bit of a ball ache.

A search will probably bring you up more info on bits ive forgotton :unsure:

cheers, James

Guest Roy

thanks james, ive got the halfords pro toolset the £150 one .. so i should be ok there

ive done drive shafts etc ... is there anything to be carefull of when draining the water or even disconecting the fuel lines?

i could do with someone in my area giving me a hand !! lol

Roy

jas-E

hey mate,

i changed a 1.6 engine as my first swap and to be honest there isnt much that can go wrong really.

Since it was my first time, i took my time laelling all the wires and hoses to where they were from and where they went to, but the wiring connectors are all colour coded so you cant really go wrong with them.

I would also remove the radiator so you dont damage it when dropping the engine. Just disconnect the lower hose to drain all the water. Once you disconnect the rad you will have removed any hoses that connect the engine to anything on the bay that needs to (someone might correct me if im wrong...!)

But as you lower the engine just keep an eye out for anything you might have forgotten to disconnect...

other than that its pretty straight forward..

cheers, Jas

Edited by jas-E

j_turnell

Believe it or not i think they Haynes manual may cover this reasonably well, may be worth looking at that. When draining the water, i just take off the bottom rad hose and let it drain. There are two fuel lines that need removing, the main one going into the rail, 17mm, if you've got a decent fuel pump there may be a bit of pressure behind it but just undo it gradually and you should have no problems. The other goes into the back of the pressure regulator, just secured with a fuel clip. Once you've taken them in and out a few times you soon find short cuts, should take no longer than an hour/45mins really.

cheers, James.

Guest Roy

Thanks guys .. the wiring should be no problem as im good with car electronics, fitting alarms etc.

i will probably be labeling everything ! because its my first time.

im guessing the main bits to remove are water, fuel wiring and mounts

ive just had a read of the haynes manual ... disconect this disconect that as explained in section so and so ... so its very well covered !

i should be fine lol !

steve@cornwall
Thanks guys .. the wiring should be no problem as im good with car electronics, fitting alarms etc.

i will probably be labeling everything ! because its my first time.

im guessing the main bits to remove are water, fuel wiring and mounts

ive just had a read of the haynes manual ... disconect this disconect that as explained in section so and so ... so its very well covered !

i should be fine lol !

does the shell need to be "rolling" once the engine is removed? If you're painting it yourself, maybe not? If not, why not remove engine and subframe together?

You can then give it all as clean up off the car.

Guest Roy

is that the easyest option, as i am swapping the whole setup from a 1.9gti to a 1.6 shell !

steve@cornwall
is that the easyest option, as i am swapping the whole setup from a 1.9gti to a 1.6 shell !

If you're scrapping the 1.9 I would drop it out as a complete unit, through the bottom of the car.

Drain fluids

disconnect exhaust, fuel line,throttle cable, bottom of steering column at the rack.speedo cable, clutch cable, heater and radiator pipes

unbolt the + supply box (with the fuses) from the slam panel , the coil/amplifier module from the inner wing,the metal water pipe from the o/s inner wing and the header tank.

Strip the dash and unclip the engine loom (2 brown plugs to the n/s of the heater) and the ucu. these wires can now be withdrawn from the bulkhead.either re-fit the same way or use the connected loom as reference and disconnect yours from the various points on the engine- depending on if you want to strip your dash.

unbolt the 3 nuts that hold each strut in place

Support the engine subframe from below

undo the 2 bolts either side at the rear of the subframe and the one each side by the struts re-fit the wheels and lower to the ground.

undo the top engine mount and gearbox mount

Slowly jack the body off the assembly (checking for any thing I've forgotten!) and pull the lot out in one, engine 'box, running gear, loom, ignition, suspension!

If it's a while before it all goes back in, you can't forget much of how it fits back together!!!

Guest Roy

the plan was to swap the engines from my 1900 shell to the 1600 shell, then the running gear and the rear beam.

do i need to swap the ecu's when refitting the 1900 engine or will it run from the 1600 ecu

steve@cornwall
the plan was to swap the engines from my 1900 shell to the 1600 shell, then the running gear and the rear beam.

do i need to swap the ecu's when refitting the 1900 engine or will it run from the 1600 ecu

generally, either use all 1.6 injection parts, or all 1.9. Seeing as you have all the 1.9 parts, I would use these -It's what the engine was designed to run on, after all

Sign in to follow this