• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
A2TheA

Removing A Wishbone Bush...

A2TheA

i have just been quoted £35 to remove my two bushes from my wish bone. i wasnt too sure how to go about it hence the topic. i searched the forums but no matcheswere found. any ideas please?

Cheers Aaron

GLPoomobile

Unless you have a vice, hacksaw, blowtorch, and various other tools then don't bother trying to do it yourself. You will be advised to burn out the bush and then cut the metal sleeve away, but the only time I tried this I gave up as the standard OE rubber bushes would not melt, so I spent forever trying to burn them and making little progress. The poly bushes in the other wishbone I had did melt much more easily though.

Whoever quoted you £35 was taking the piss. Find a nice little independent workshop/engineering place/garage who will do it cheaper. I got bushes pressed out of 2 'bones and new ones pressed in for about £10-£15 IIRC.

Simes

Standard ones melt with a blow torch - be patient!

James_m

Where was that GL? one of mine failed quite badly the other day :lol:

GLPoomobile
Standard ones melt with a blow torch - be patient!

I was patient :D I was using one of those Butane canister things from B&Q, cost about £17 I think. The bushes didn't melt, they just bubbled a bit and crumbled, so I had to scrape away the crumbled it and burn a bit more etc. After spending probably an hour and making very little head way in one bush I gave up.

The poly ones melted nicely in no time and were easy to dig out as they went like warm chewing gum :D

I think I must be cursed with this sort of thing cos everytime I try something my own experience ends up being the complete opposite of everyone else's :lol:

A2TheA

thanks, ill try some where else. thanks guys. it says in the haynes manual i have that a puller can be used. obviously not.

GLPoomobile
Where was that GL? one of mine failed quite badly the other day :D

RPM Engineering in Barnet. They were recommended to me by Maturin23 ages ago and since then they have done a few jobs for me and my MOTs and they are spot on. Good prices, reliable work, they don't try and shaft you on the MOT and they are a really top, friendly bunch of guys :lol:

R P M Engineering, 52 Lytton Rd, New Barnet, Barnet, EN5 5BY

020 8441 1301

A2TheA

would anyone say that £62.36 is expensive for 1 yes 1 lower wishbone arm :lol: ... yeah me neither.

maturin23

I took mine to RPM, James (I think I sent you the details) - get a cash price in advance.

I think I paid £15

(edited to say: whoops - beaten to it!)

Edited by maturin23

James_m

Cheers Maturin :lol: Yeah, i know Rpm, they did my MOT earlier in the year.

GLPoomobile
would anyone say that £62.36 is expensive for 1 yes 1 lower wishbone arm :lol: ... yeah me neither.

You can get them for £38 plus VAT each from www.buypartsby.co.uk. Haven't used them personally but I'm sure a few members have and haven't had any issues with them. The bushes may not last as long as OE Pug ones though, so fine if you are after a quick fix but you might need to whip them off in the near future to replace those bushes again (£17 for a complete kit with all bushes and nuts and bolts from Peugeot).

I believe you can use a puller to get the bushes out, and there are some other ingenious methods that I'm sure others can fill in on. Really depends if you have the tools and a good vice etc.

kyepan

you need a decent set of punches, a vice, and a butane or propane torch and a big persuader (hammer).

I was hesitant about doing this first time round and so watched the bloke at the garage do it paid him 20 quid, he burnt the rubber with an oxygen/Acetylene torch then banged the inner metal and rubber bit out once they were charred and brittle, then using the punch at right angles to the bush, hammered the lip to curl it inwards, turned the wishbone round and hit the other side of the same lip. once it was folded inwards he smashed it through using a big punch.

having seen this i decided it wasn't hard at all, and tackled the bushes on the rear beam with relative ease. once the rubber and inner bit is burnt out, the trick is fold in one end of the metal outer sleve like you were crushing the end of a cardboard tube, then hit this hard to push the outer metal sleve out. regarding butane not doing the trick, it burns at nearly 2000 degree's centegrade, keep it on the bush for about a minute or two, it will bubble smolder and burn, if your lucky the center will drop out, if not persuade it.

PS you really do need a vice for this, if not a local garage will do it for you for about 20 quid.

nick

Just drill as much of the rubber out as you can, punch the inner sleeve out with a big hammer (a socket and extension works well as a drift) then cut through the outer sleeve with a hacksaw. Fold the outer sleeve in with a hammer and chisel and it will fall out.

It takes ten minutes per bush (at the most) and your garage/shed doesn't stink of burning rubber for 3 weeks afterwards!

Nick

jackherer
You can get them for £38 plus VAT each from www.buypartsby.co.uk. Haven't used them personally but I'm sure a few members have and haven't had any issues with them. The bushes may not last as long as OE Pug ones though, so fine if you are after a quick fix but you might need to whip them off in the near future to replace those bushes again (£17 for a complete kit with all bushes and nuts and bolts from Peugeot).

The bushes in my wishbones from buypartsby were properly dead in two weeks and even brand new they were never right.

I'm trialling some polybushes made by a company called Deflex right now, been in a couple of weeks now and they aren't dead yet so just need to wait and see...

James_m

Amen to that Jackherer. My failed wishbone bush i mentioned earlier was a buypartsby. Lasted 20 mins on track.....

My febi bilstein wishbone on the other side is fine with an identical life to the other one.

Super Josh

I found the blowtorch method painful, it just produced lots of acrid smoke and took too long :lol: I made up my own puller by using two suitably sized sockets, one the size of the bush and the other the size of the hole in the wishbone. Then I used a piece of M12 studding (which I bought from B&Q), with a couple of nuts on each end, so as to spread the load across a fair amount of the thread.

Then just used the homemade puller to wind out the old bush and wind in the new one. I put a small amount of washing up liquid on the new bush to help it slide in nice and easily :D

Josh

Rippthrough

5kw blowtorch + MAPP gas.

A2TheA

well i removed both wish bone arms. the nearside rear hinge bolt was an uter b*stard to remove. anyway its done, i replace the ARB support arm so hopefully no more clonking. just the pulling to the left on throttle now, hopefully these new bushes should take care of that. i luckily know the manager of the rapid fit near me pretty well, he siad id get a new car, i said its old and needs some love thats all. but yeah he is sorting the removal and replacment of the bushes. i just got to mount them back on the car.

then its delocking time again :lol:

thanks for the help guy and gayls

Sign in to follow this