• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Fitting The Gti Subframe To A Xs

djinuk

Would it be possible to fit the front sub frame of the 205 gti onto a 205 xs. Reason i ask is then it would have decent wishbones, and front anti roll bar etc..

if so how hard would it be and what work would be involved, anybody done this beofre.

Sandy

Yes, the gear linkage post needs to be changed/moved, and the brake hoses sometimes foul the drop links. I'm not sure I'd bother though TBH, The GTi set up isn't that much better really. Swapping to 309 arms is a much bigger improvement.

DaveW

Sandy fitting 309 arms would that need 309 driveshafts too?

swordfish210

I'v done this swap and (sorry sandy) but i thought it was downright fantastic, one of the best mods i'v done to the car, get some decent dampers as well (Bilstien OE are pretty good). I'll post some pics of the mod i did on the gear linkage so it was compatable with the TU rods. I didnt have a problem with my brakelines fouling the droplinks.

swordfish210
Sandy fitting 309 arms would that need 309 driveshafts too?

i'm pretty sure that it does

RossD

I'm doing this mod to my project car and I was resigned to the fact that I would have to reweld the gear linkage post. Are you saying you dont need too?!

swordfish210

no you do need to cut and weld the gearlinkage post to a new position, i basically measured exactly where the post was on the TU subframe and then cut it and placed it in that position on the GTI subframe. Then when my crappy welds broke at Llandow i got a welsh guy to weld it on properly for me ;)

Sandy

I've run both on the same springs/dampers and I didn't feel the wishbones were really worth the hassle, old TCAs to new wishbones will seem like night and day, but new TCAs over old is almost as good. To use 309 arms you should also use the shafts really, but if you use the later 106 etc box that pushes the shaft out a bit, it's fine, as long as you fit the shaft seal to suit.

Each to their own obviously

steve@cornwall

Suspension wise this would be the same as changing the cti subframe to gti spec.Done this a couple of times and wouldn't bother again, quite frankly. Droplink will foul the brake pipe on standard height suspension and be above it on lowered susp.

djinuk

hmm,, well i have fitted new tca's to my xs , but compared to the gti the steering does not feel tight and precise, is something else worn? and would fitting the gti sub frame solve this.

Sandy

ARB bushes, top mount rubbers/bearings, rack... Solid front subframe mounts (309 GTi).

Edited by sandy309

Sign in to follow this