• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig f90

205 1.9 Oil Cooler To Xu10 Block. Cant Get Filter On?

craig f90

I have removed the water cooler from the 2.0 to fit an 1.9 air cooler. it went on okay but when i went to fit the oil filter i realised there was no thread for the oil filter :unsure: do i use a different car make filter? or is there an adapter avalible

or have i wasted money on a second hand oil cooler?

I have searched but with no avail. Has anyone else had the same problem?

M@tt

You need the threaded adapter as well which screws into the block. (and remove your old one)

You can see the differnet versions here

HPIM0254Medium.jpg

HTH

Edited by M@tt

16v205
You need the threaded adapter as well which screws into the block. (and remove your old one)

You can see the differnet versions here

HPIM0254Medium.jpg

HTH

Has anyone got a part number for the thread adapter?

I had to bodge mine by cutting and welding it to make it fit,

Rich

craig f90

Sorry M@tt, do you mean the thread that wont budge out of the block? :unsure: are these available from peugeot? Your links expired. i'm tring to fit a oil to air cooler on a2.0 turbo.

thanks, craig.

sonofsam

What's wrong with the standard heat exchanger Craig?

craig f90

Hi sam, I read in a post after a search about piping up turbo coolant, to sling the water type cooler. So like a haisty idiot :unsure: that i am i went over to ebay and bought an air to oil cooler. The main reason was because the origional rad in the 406 had a feed to the water cooler, so like a tool :) i gave up on the water cooler idea. I take it you have used the water cooler with successful results?. Im really keen to get it right, but constantly i am RSing it up. good news is after your help with the wiring sam, Ive got the car to start and stop on the key. :)

sonofsam

Good news on the wiring mate , well done! :unsure:

Yeah I plumbed the heat exchanger into the main water supply as it should be. Fitting a 1.9 air>oil cooler seems a bit of a step backwards

to me ( no offence meant) a few people have junked the heat exchanger though in favour of a bigger better mocal oil cooler(expensive though/more than likely do alot of track work too), have a read up on the 1.9 cooler and you'll find alot of people junk them as they are next to no good/rather ineffective :)

What the heat exchanger does is get the oil upto temperature sooner (using the water) as you start the car, so you dont have to wait so long

before your oil is upto temp. and you can put your foot down! It also draws heat away, wich would in affect get transfered to the coolant ( I think that's right,lol)

However I've never had a problem with oil or water temperatures, if yours is planning on being a road car? I would stick with the heat exchanger personally.

There are a few ways of plumbing it in to the main coolant circulation system. I have mine Tee'd into the top thermostat>radiator hose and the other side Tee'd into the metal water pipe that runs in the drivers side wheel arch.

M@tt

oh sorry i've just looked at the pics again

I think the small threaded bit you still have should come out of the block, you might need to get a set of mole grips on it and some heat on the block surrounding it to loosen it off unless anyone else has any smart suggestions.

2f11a10d.jpg

you'll then need one of the adapters show in the pic above on the right which also looks like its got one of the threaded bit still reamiining in it according to this pic

part 5 & 6

2f11a54a.jpg

05 1146 07 OIL FILT INSERT

06 1103 54 OIL FILT INSERT DIAM 20X150-LG 27

craig f90

Anyone wanna buy a cooler? lol. cheers sam and M@tt. Ive also got the issue of fitting the cooler up front. Urgh. It was just all the pipe work to join/tee. I think im gonna stay with water if it'll let me jump in and drive. road car, see. :unsure:

sonofsam

Yeah the tee'ing up is a bit of a work to be honest. For the top hose I made this up:

post-6977-1189706193_thumb.jpg

Using copper piping from B&Q drilled and soldered together then painted with hammerite, it has an inlet for the turbo return water feed also (the little one on top) Alternatively you could hunt out a top hose from a 205 with a remote oil cooler(positioned on gearbox instead of on the front of the block), but the hose will still need lengthening to reach the heat exchanger and you'll still need an inlet to the top hose for the turbo return I think.

Do you still have the original water hoses from the donor car? , as I've heard you can use some of them.

For the other side of the heat exchanger I brazed a union onto the bottom metal pipe:

DSC00145.jpg

craig f90

Hi sam,

Im facing the same issues that you have overcome. I heard a rumor that the pipe work was staight forward :) I must have the wrong pipes then? ive used the original 205 bottom rubber hoses via the metal one as in your pic. i'm also gonna use part of the long 406 one because as i'm sure your aware it naturaly tee's into the heat exchanger.

To be honest thats the only one we can use. Looking at it today, the 406 heater matrix hoses are no good, too many bends making them too short. Im not entireley sure what to do with them. which route they should take and so on.

Those BBMs look sweet :) And nice work on making those custom tee's up. Your not a plumber by any chance? :lol:

I might take a trip up to the local scrappy, see what the novas and fiestas that all seem to live there.

As for the wiring i couldn't have done it without your advice. If our paths ever cross, i owe you a few beers. ;)

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

Beers did someone say, our paths will cross :)

No, not a plumber, but a mate who is gave me his flux and lamp!

Im fully BBM'd up now :) Hope it goes to plan for you :lol:

Henry Yorke

I don't run an oil cooler of any sort and my turbo is fine! I do have a finned ally Mi16 sump which is one of the best coolers around!!

sonofsam

Is the xu10 T. sump tin :) Mine is covered in grease so, I dont know :)

craig f90

I did see a finned MI16 sump on ebay long ago. I should have bidded. Thats another helpfull option Henry. I think my sumps cast alloy '96'. The 205 one was definetly tin. I may go BBM too, very well priced. Well its time to go back to the drawing board.

Oh yes, beers on me. :)

craig f90

Okay, Im certain im gonna keep the heater exchange.

Sam im gonna do the same as you with the bottom steel pipe, 406 one is far too long and would push pipes all over the place :lol: , so your solution is a perfect option. :) how does your top pic work? is the 1st pic the hose from the bottom of the bottle? I think i need to tee one to the turbo feed and another one to the heater matrix. water return feed is that the one that ive put to the stat housing? ive used the fatter of the top 2 skinny hoses by the cap, on your right looking into engine bay? although it was blocked off. the thinner really long one still goes to the top of the rad, right?

Im studying your post on coolant specific coolant hoses to see how it can all be done. Confused again :) .

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

Yes the steel pipe didn't like my mate's MIG welder, we could never get a water tight seal! So the one in the picture is MkII wich we brazed together

using gas bottles, flux and solder @ work.

Top picture is BBM 205 top hose >Thermostat to top of radiator. Yes the little black solid metal pipe by the thermostat housing is for the turbo.

I have also Tee'd into the the pipe that comes off the bottom of the expansion bottle for the heater matrix, and for the >side of thermostat to other

side of heater matrix I used an BBM Mi hose for this.

Yep thin one (expansion tank) to drivers side of top radiator and fat one (expansion tank) goes to the pipe that runs from the turb outlet by the thermostat

back to the inlet on that copper pipe Tri-piece I made on the top hose. So the turbo water feed get's an expansion outlet also, wich I beleive is quite important.

sonofsam

Just remembered Craig, while your playing about with the hose's. Have a check on that metal turbo coolant pipe down the back of the block

for any leaks. Pug used jubillee clips on a hose that is way too small for them, thus mine had a small leak at that point!

If you find yourself looking for unequal T-pieces (were two outlets are are different diameter to the other) wich will happen :)

check pond/aquarium shops and carbuildersolutions (nfauto.co.uk) for supplies, oh yeah and about 100 hose clips from B&Q, LOL.

and if you wanna make life even easier a flexible hose clip driver comes in well handy :)

craig f90

Sam your a legend. :( Ive done some shopping today in focus. (15 mile cycle ride to the other diy stores B) ) ive been seaching for reducers. no luck. picked up some copper tee's and 90 degree bends. Is plastic okay to use or do they need to be metal? I didnt think of using an petshop thats why i ask if plastic is safe. im gonna spend tomorow evening mapping it out tidy. cheers for warning me about the pipe. And thanks for the advice on buying a flexi clip driver, been using a 7mm socket, now its getting tricky.

Tell me about hose clips.. Those and fuel clips along with cable ties and insulation tape have made me broke.

Well, im off to see if i can afford a BBM Mi hose. ^_^

sonofsam

Yep plastic is fine, email or PM stew BBM direct for a price ^_^

craig f90

Hi, sam cheers for that. Im glad to know i can broaden my options with materials. Is the diagram you created on your coolant specific hoses exactly the way you've set yours up and are you still using it? Tell me to mind my own buisness if you like? One more question, did you use BBM's complete MI kit?

thankyou sam.

sonofsam

The diagram I cant remember off hand.. I will come back to you with a new one on that.

Not the whole kit no, But basically I used BBM :

Mi16 lower heater matrix hose.

8v lower expansion tank pipe> that is a tricky one to utilise I found as the outlet on my turbo engines water distribution block had the outlet facing a different orientation.

^That pipe has a tee in it just under the expansion tank that goes the other side of the heater matrix.

8v top radiator pipe > the pipe in the first picture I posted with the DIYB&Q jobbie what's it inserted into it.

I must be working my way towards a few Brandy's by now eh Craig :ph34r: Good advert for BBM there also, was going to type 'cracking hoses' :lol: I mean great quality, wich they are and Stew's a top man also!

craig f90

Sorry for nagging sam. I just want it to be spot on. (like yours :lol: ) The problem stated when i was fitting the dash back together, whilst my mate did the hoses. pipes with no home, plumbed into random places, worst of all no feed to the block. Now i dont know what hose to put where. Ive had a look at BuDs gti_6 hose post, but its different, they block one exp pipe off.

Brandy it is then :D . I will e-mail Stew today about the hoses. :ph34r:

Thanks sam.

craig f90

Cracking hoses? must be made with the same materials as the originals :lol:

I dont think youve used the same method as your drawing to be honest. Me not studying it hard enough until now, thats all.

My brother works at a plumbing suppliers until next week, then he's moving to demon tweeks :lol: So iv'e asked him nicley if his current boss would still sell him bits of plumbing gear. (didn't want to ask When he said he'd quit) I still recon samco would be way too dear with his discount :P

I am (he says) begining to see what you've done with your hoses.

Sign in to follow this