• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Fitting Mi16 Wheels...

skinner2k3

I have a set of Mi16 alloys on my 205. As it was a 1.6 the fronts fit perfectly, not sticking out like 1.9 alloys do. But on the back they need about 8mm of spacing to clear the beam. I have 10mm spacers on there at the moment, trouble is they push the wheel out past the 65mm spigot that centralises it. When I fit them they sit down on the studs and can be off centre by upto about 1.5mm, which I can obviously feel as a wobble through the car. I would have a set of spacers made 8mm thick with a 65mm spigot on the front and a 65mm recess in the back, but obviously thats impossible. The only thing I can think of is use taper seat nuts to pull the wheel straight like VW and Fords do. To do that I would need tapers machined into the bolt holes in the wheel or open out the bolt holes to 15mm diameter and then have some steel inserts made which I can press in to the wheels with tapers cut into them.

Which do you think would be the better option. I know getting wheels that fit is the easiest solution but I like these wheels.

Cheers

Ben

Rippthrough

Push 'em out a bit further with hubcentrics?

skinner2k3

I was going to try and have some spacers made up but the hubcentric bit being 9mm scuppered that. I didnt think of grinding it down.

Rippthrough are you still able to get those spacers? Can they be made to fit 9mm spigots? How much?

Cheers

Ben

5150maxie

where do you get 10mm hubcentric spacers and how much?

Rippthrough
where do you get 10mm hubcentric spacers and how much?

Roughly £60 for 4 spacers, although it depends on the exact size you are after.

The ones in the pictures have a 7mm internal recess for the hub, 10mm external centring ring, and space out 10mm.

Actually just sorting out 2 lots for a couple of guys on the gti6 forum, but if you guys want some then it'll be quicker and easier to order in bulk.

http://306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=70466&page=1

skinner2k3

One of our engineering suppliers at work has agreed to machine a couple for me. As a favour, but if they make a hash of it I may have a set off you.

How do you grind off the 2mm? With the hubs on or off the car?

Rippthrough
One of our engineering suppliers at work has agreed to machine a couple for me. As a favour, but if they make a hash of it I may have a set off you.

How do you grind off the 2mm? With the hubs on or off the car?

Hillbilly method! :wub:

One wheel in air, car in gear, hub turning....

Health and safety, heard of that somewhere.... :wub:

skinner2k3

fcuk that!

Besides I am refering to the rears. The fronts fit perfect!

Rippthrough
fcuk that!

Besides I am refering to the rears. The fronts fit perfect!

Pull the hubs off and have 'em skimmed then.

skinner2k3

I was thinking about your hillbilly method, but getting the misses to carefully spin the disc :wub:

Rippthrough
I was thinking about your hillbilly method, but getting the misses to carefully spin the disc :wub:

Know anyone with a milling machine?

skinner2k3
Know anyone with a milling machine?

We have a machine shop at work, should be able to get it done for beer tokens.

Not removed a rear hub before, difficult? The beam was rebuilt a couple of years back so it should come apart without too much grief.

Rippthrough
We have a machine shop at work, should be able to get it done for beer tokens.

Not removed a rear hub before, difficult? The beam was rebuilt a couple of years back so it should come apart without too much grief.

I haven't took a disc rear hub apart, but I can't see it being all that hard looking in the joke book.

Sign in to follow this