• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
josh1990

Interior Heater

josh1990

I have a 1992 205 Rallye, 1.4 TU engine, What can i do to make my interior heater better warmer, as mine is Sh*te, just blowing luke warm air after a 3 mile drive and warmed up :s, really need this sorting any advice help much appreciated.

Thanks Josh

Btw did a search did'nt retreive out!

TT205

Maybe a bit obvious but check you still have coolant, poor heater is often sign of blown h/g or low coolant

I see you are in York - there are a few of us competing at Elvington on Sunday if you fancy come along and spectate

Dave

Edited by TT205

Casanova

A good flush of the cooling system with a hose is cheap and useful too - the heater matrix might be a bit blocked or gunged up. I've been rebuilding an XS which had been overheating recently, and the cause was the engine water jacket completely full of radiator sludge. It was so full, so blocked, that there was basically no cooling system!

You could take each of the hoses off and check what they're like inside. I guess it could also be in need of a good bleed - easy to do, make sure its done properly. The thermostat would be the other thing to check - if its not opening properly then the heater won't function properly. How does the car run, temperature-wise? Does it overheat easily? Do you get puddles in the footwell (leaky heater matrix)?

Not professional advice by any means but this is what I'd do:

1. Check for coolant level, and if you're losing any, whether its internal (eek) or a leak somewhere. Make sure its bled - there's a "valve cap" nipple on the heater pipes by the carb, and a 5mm allen-key one in the thermostat housing.

2. Flush the system a few times until water comes out cleanish. Ideally run the engine a bit in between flushes, so water gets pumped round the whole system to clear it out. See what gets flushed out!

3. While the system's empty, undo some coolant hoses and have a peek/feel/scrape inside. They can be quite bad. They're not too hard to remove, clean and refit if necessary.

4. If, having done the above, you're still having issues, try swapping the thermostat - they're under a tenner to replace. Be really careful not to overtighten the thermostat housing bolts - very easily done as they're quite weak. Been there, done that, its a massive pain!

Good luck!

§

Ben_M

I have had the same problem with my 205 what you could do is change the internal heater matrix, however what I did was removed the internal matrix and placed it in a bucket of bleached water for a day and loads of c##p came out refitted it and it now works mint !!! It ant really that hard to remove aswell..

hope this helps Ben

Mikey S
I have had the same problem with my 205 what you could do is change the internal heater matrix, however what I did was removed the internal matrix and placed it in a bucket of bleached water for a day and loads of c##p came out refitted it and it now works mint !!! It ant really that hard to remove aswell..

hope this helps Ben

there only around 33 quid to buy new so its not really worth doing that.

first thing i would do is change the matrix and the thermostat. also give the system a good flush through with a hose. that should endow it with a pretty good heater.

if you wanted to, you could upgrade the thermostat to a hotter one. 88, 92 degrees c are available.

Jrod

Mines crap aswell but that's just because my engine doesn't seem to get hot enough for it to make any real heat on a cold day.

Sign in to follow this