• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
speedy indy

Lost Keys

speedy indy

Is it possible to get a set from Peugeot ? and if so how much would they cost...

Or is it easier to replace the barrel ?

P.S I have spare keys to all the door locks......

hengti

it would be much cheaper to renew the barrel - i think they're about £40.

Peugeot wanted way in excess of £100 to match a key to the barrel when i made similar enquiries a while ago; even local locksmiths wanted twice as much as the cost of a new barrel

welshpug

if the door locks are different to the ignition then has something has already been changed, drop neat auto's a line, they can sort you out with a full car set for £70

Henry Yorke

I have an ignition barrel with a key if you are interested. I was just about to chuck it on ebay

Super Josh

You really need the key in the ignition barrel, to get it out of the steering column easily.

Josh

Henry Yorke
You really need the key in the ignition barrel, to get it out of the steering column easily.

Josh

Good point, but everything is possible!

The reason you need the key is that it will release the mechanism from the steering column casting more readily

jackherer

I had to drill a barrel out so I could fit a spare column that I had lost the key for. It took a lot of drilling out as they are extremely hard metal but as Henry says everything is possible...

Mikey S
I had to drill a barrel out so I could fit a spare column that I had lost the key for. It took a lot of drilling out as they are extremely hard metal but as Henry says everything is possible...

i had to do this when my gti keys were stolen. :( its not that hard to do if you have some sharp bits. gsf do a complete valeo kit, down to the glovbox lock for iirc 60 odd quid. the set comes with 2 keys and a tag if you need to order further keys in the future.

hth :)

steve@cornwall

It's easier to grind off the lugs that hold the barrel in.

jackherer
It's easier to grind off the lugs that hold the barrel in.

Wouldn't that destroy the column though?

Grim.Badger

I've got a ring of keys I've collected over the years that I can post to you. Pug didn't use many different key patterns so there is a reasonable chance that one will work. Pm me if your interested.

steve@cornwall
Wouldn't that destroy the column though?

Theres only about 2mm of these lugs, so if careful using the grinder at 90 degrees to the column, you can grind them down without doing much damage to the outer column at all, whilst retaining the front edge of the slot to retain the new barrel. These lugs are actually quite soft, so I'd imagine a dremel could be used to grind the lugs only, although I've not tried this. For my dremel I now have the cutting bit from a hand router as used in pvcu manufacture. This will happily munch through bolts, nuts etc. and is very useful :) If you know anybody in the pvcu fabricating industry, and have a compressor at home, borrow a air driven hand router - the barrel will be out in no time.

post-7883-1188830465_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this