• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CTI STU

1.6 Gearbox 1.9 Engine

CTI STU

Ive just tryed a search and could'nt find anything?

Just need to know if I put a 1.9 in my Cti can I keep the 1.6 gearbox?

how much difrence will it make and is it going to make the swap harder or easyer to do?

I might be buying a 1.9 that hasnt got a gearbox

large

yer it should go on fine There is alot of stuff on here about it as i have just put a 1.9 in my 1.6 and used the 1.6 box

steve@cornwall
Ive just tryed a search and could'nt find anything?

Just need to know if I put a 1.9 in my Cti can I keep the 1.6 gearbox?

how much difrence will it make and is it going to make the swap harder or easyer to do?

I might be buying a 1.9 that hasnt got a gearbox

Makes no difference to the difficulty of the swap. IMO it's ideal for the cti, as it's weight can make it feel sluggish at times, compared to the GTI - so this arrangement should see the performance closer, at least on paper....

There's been plenty of debate about the different characteristics of the 1.6 and 1.9 engines with each g'boxes so best not go into it too far....but it will give you quicker acceleration, but may not be so entertaining in the delivery. My GTI has this set up and it is quick, but you need to look in the rearview to notice :blush: IMO the 1.6 feels quicker on the road due to the "punch" over 4000 revs. as the 1.9 is pulling evenly from start off, you don't get that experience :lol: Debatable whether it's worthwhile replacing a healthy 1.6 with a 1.9 just because you can ?

CTI STU
Debatable whether it's worthwhile replacing a healthy 1.6 with a 1.9 just because you can ?

My Cti is SOOO gutless, Ive had 7 1.6 Gti's and some have been quicker than others but this one is not good (was going to sell it)

It feels like a 1.1!!

So I was thinking rather than sell it put in a 1.9 or even another 1.6??

Its driving me mad! dont want a silly quick Cti but one that keeps up with 1.1 saxo's would be nice!!

steve@cornwall
My Cti is SOOO gutless, Ive had 7 1.6 Gti's and some have been quicker than others but this one is not good (was going to sell it)

It feels like a 1.1!!

So I was thinking rather than sell it put in a 1.9 or even another 1.6??

Its driving me mad! dont want a silly quick Cti but one that keeps up with 1.1 saxo's would be nice!!

Seriously, if it's that bad check the valve timing. You can take the top cover off, mark the belt in a couple of places, gently lever the belt off starting from one end and then turn the camshaft one tooth and push the belt back on.Takes about 15 mins. Would recommend changing the belt afterwards, regardless of the outcome, but good for diagnostics on an otherwise doomed engine

CTI STU

Wish you lived a bit closer, you seem to know everything about these 205!! could have done it for me!!!

I will prob be asking loads of questions if I do swap the engine! so hope your about!

Sign in to follow this