• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TVH

Be1 Gears Into Be3 Box

TVH

Is it possible to fit BE1 gears and final drive into a BE3 box? What I'm planning to do is to fit 1.9 gti BE1 gears with 405 Mi16 final drive into a base model BE3 box, that would give me the best gear ratios for track use and also get rid of the reverse cable.

jim21070

I don't see why not. The major difference is in the selector mechanism and as far as I know, the gearsets and final drive are substantially identical between the BE1 and BE3.

Miles should be able to give the authorative answer ;)

whizzer71

I recently built a box up for a mate of mine for his turbo conversion and I used Be 4 casings,Be3/Be1 gears and a FD set from a Be1,The only and not immediate difference was the cut of the teeth on the Be4 reverse idler were different to that on the Input shaft that I used from the Be3 box.

The selectors on the Be1 box are def different,but if you wanna mix and match just take your time and examine the bits as you go,make sure you have plenty space too as youll be suprised just how many bits you'll end up with.

I think it pays to lay everything out in order of sequence as you take it apart ,Good luck the rewards can be good if you get it all spot on !

Tris

;)

TVH
I recently built a box up for a mate of mine for his turbo conversion and I used Be 4 casings,Be3/Be1 gears and a FD set from a Be1,The only and not immediate difference was the cut of the teeth on the Be4 reverse idler were different to that on the Input shaft that I used from the Be3 box.

The selectors on the Be1 box are def different,but if you wanna mix and match just take your time and examine the bits as you go,make sure you have plenty space too as youll be suprised just how many bits you'll end up with.

I think it pays to lay everything out in order of sequence as you take it apart ,Good luck the rewards can be good if you get it all spot on !

Tris

:D

Thanks, both of you! I'm convinced now! ;)

Miles

Basically what Wiz' has said, the basic gears are all fine to swap,

petert

I thought there was difference on one of the journal sizes on the input shaft. I'll take a pic. later which will explain it better.

Miles

The 16v input shaft and some other odd one's use a slightly smaller dia shaft, but you can get a plain bush to overcome this, from what I have no idea as I;ve got a box of bushes, Strange why they did this as it's never been a problem, The main thing is 5th gear slipping on the splines

Sign in to follow this