• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Found A 309 Gti In A Scrappy :)

matt-k

Thought my luck was in today when i found a 309 gti sat rotting away! Turned out most of it had gone including the rear beam :) . The 1.9 engines still in it though along with some parts of the front suspension which im going to have. This includes the N/S hub disc + caliper, the wishbone suspension arms and the N/S drive shaft.

Ive heard fitting this set up to a 205 is a good upgrade because its a wider track but can someone tell me exactly what i need to take? are the driveshafts and suspension arms longer on a 309 or is it the subframe which is wider?

Cheers

danpug

You obviously need both wishbones, whether you need the shafts or not is another thing as some people say they don't have problems using 205 shafts/309 wishbones. I've always used the 309 shafts myself. Check the balljoints before removing the wishbones though, afaik they can't be replaced.

matt-k

So is it just the wishbones which give the wider track then? My gtis a 1.6 so im going to replace the hubs to, are the 309 gti hubs the same as the 1.9 205 hubs? and are the 1.6 & 1.9 driveshafts diferent??

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

boldy205

the 309 and 1.9 gti hubs are the same, and the 309 shafts are what you need, along with the 309 hubs. I presume this will all fit into you box (ahemm!!) what box do you have? someone else may know if these shafts will fit to your gear box.

danpug

Shafts should go into box fine, its only on the hud side 1.6 and 1.9 shafts differ i think. You definitely need the 309 shafts if you are fitting 1.9 hubs.

pug_ham

Any questions please try a search before starting a topic as most subjects & problems have been covered before.

Cheers,

Graham.

Henry Yorke

You will need to do something with your brakes too going from 1.6 to 1.9 hubs. You will probably need new discs as the offsets are different. Someone else can confirm the exact details as I have forgotten!

matt-k
You will need to do something with your brakes too going from 1.6 to 1.9 hubs. You will probably need new discs as the offsets are different. Someone else can confirm the exact details as I have forgotten!

Ive done more of a search and im going to buy some brand new 309 wishbones. Ive also discovered that the standard 205 driveshafts will definatly work fine! One question though... when ordering my new 309 ones do i have to state i want the GTI ones or do all 309s have the same wishbones? :)

Cheers all.

Alastairh

No, you will need GTI wish bones that are the same as the Derv Turbo.

The 309, does it have the funky dials with the numbers for the oil temp on etc?

They look rather cool :)

Alastair

matt-k
No, you will need GTI wish bones that are the same as the Derv Turbo.

The 309, does it have the funky dials with the numbers for the oil temp on etc?

They look rather cool :)

Alastair

Ill have a look when i go back! After ive got what i want off it ill post its location on here. :)

It still had its GTI badges mind!!

matt-k

Just a quike one.. Does the 309 derv turbo have the same rear beam as the 309 GTI?

pug_ham
Just a quike one.. Does the 309 derv turbo have the same rear beam as the 309 GTI?
No. Drums not disc & thinner torsion & ant roll bar.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this