• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dj_mini

Driveshaft Oil Seal

Dj_mini

Im having problems with my driverside driveshaft leaking the basic rundown: new shaft and new oil seal was fine for two days wilst sandy was mapping the car then got home did less than a mile and the seal leaked dumping all the oil :P so i then changed the shaft to a spare all was well again untill 1 mile latter it dummped all the oil again :D i now have another new seal to try but i dont understand why it will be fine for a small time then leak like a tap shortly after? Both the shaft and seal look fine.

Has any one had problems with new shafts / seals like this?

jackherer

Could be loose intermediate bearing bolts (but you probably tightened them when you swapped shafts) or the gearbox could be coming loose from the block.

Sandy

Could be only when it's warm. We keep noticing small patches of oil after you'd left! What a shame/pain for you :P

Dj_mini

Think its gona have to come apart at the weekend and measure the shafts and seals because somthing clearly isnt right :P atleast it didnt do it wile it was on the rollers :D

Mikey S

are they genuine seals or cheap ones from a factors?

welshpug

make sure they're only just flush, any further in and they wont seal as tightly.

Dj_mini
are they genuine seals or cheap ones from a factors?

They are from a factors but there are payen so not cheap rubbish.

make sure they're only just flush, any further in and they wont seal as tightly.

Yeah i had it so its level with the casting and it seamed to be on the correct part of the shaft. Im hopping it was just a duff seal

28CRAIG

I would think that some thing is loose for them to leak that bad but if every thing is tight then try using oil seals from 205 parts I have been using these in my car's without any issues.

Mikey S
They are from a factors but there are payen so not cheap rubbish.

Yeah i had it so its level with the casting and it seamed to be on the correct part of the shaft. Im hopping it was just a duff seal

throw them in the bin and buy genuine ones. pug redesigned them and they are MUCH better than motor factor cheapies.

welshpug
throw them in the bin and buy genuine ones. pug redesigned them and they are MUCH better than motor factor cheapies.

ditto, either Peugeot GSF or ECP can supply good ones.

pug part No's;

3121 44 SEAL 40X58-10

3121 46 SEAL RIGHT 29X47-11

part No's apply to all MA and BE as far as I can tell.

JayCC

I've got a GSF one on mine at the moment which i fitted last week when i replaced the shaft. Its got splines to stop you damaging the seal when inserting the shaft. I also got one from Pug which i got as a spare, it was ~£10.50 (GSF was ~£4)

I had trouble getting the shaft all the way into the gearbox, and i assume if it is not all the way in (even a few mm short) this can cause the seal to leak.

I found putting a little bit of grease on the intermediate bearing, cleaning the housing out on the lower mount which the bearing goes into, then wearing some heavy duty gardening gloves helped me get the shaft all the way into the box. Previously i was wearing the rubber protective gloves and i just could not get enough grip, my hands got ripped to bits.

The gardening gloves give you so much grip its unbeliveable.

Dj_mini

Well i took the advice given and went to pug to get new seals and im glad i did. There is a slight diffrence in design but the major diffrence is the pug seal is 0.9mm smaller where the drive shaft enters so thus gives a much tighter seal againsed the shaft and i can report it isnt leaking at the moment :blush:

Pug seal left payen seal right

seal001.jpg

Henry Yorke

Nice to get the feedback.

Never underestimate the quality of genuine Peugeot parts. They are not that expensive (especially with a PSOOC discount!!)

Sandy

Quite and "OE" quality doesn't mean anything usually, it might even be the same supplier, but not necessarily made to Peugeot spec.

jackherer

I've fitted loads of the seals from GSF and never had a problem. The only time I ever had trouble with a perpetually leaking diff seal was where someone had nicked the housing removing a seal in the past. Fortunately it was on the outer piece of the diff housing rather than the gearbox case itself so I swapped it for a spare off an old 'box.

saveloy

I can't help but thinkit is a d/shaft problem. Recently I fiited an AMK shaft and had the exact same problem. The problem turned out o be the shaft shoulder being ever so slightly too small for the seal. As soon as the oil seal wore through the paint on the shaft, it leaked like a sieve. 6 oil seals later and I changed the shaft for a GKN and have had no issues since.

Sign in to follow this