• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Roy

R1 Carbs

Guest Roy

just purchased some r1 carbs very cheep, like new

1. what else do i need now for the conversion

2. is there anyone on the forum that would do the conversion for me for some good pocket money ?

Regards Roy

Peetypug

hi roy

im just in the middle of doing this myself

i put a list on here somewhere of all the major parts (and rough prices) you will need

here's the link

clickety click click

the rolling road is £100 and some people say you dont need the choke cable, just up the fuel slightly in winter

Edited by sorrentopete

Guest Roy

So :-

R1 Carbs, £60ish (EBAY)

Bogg brothers, manifold £188 +£5 postage

205 XS Choke cable, free from scrappy

Demon tweeks for regulators, £70ish for the 2

or Facet silver top fuel pump, £60 + a filter king regulator, £20

a set of Degas jets, £8ish

then a rolling road setup, £40ish

what do you think fitting and setting up will cost ?

hodgy

with the jets are they just a direct replacment for the standard bike ones? im having problems with mine as they aint been set up and im using loads of fuel

you also need to get hold of some GOOD silicone hosing.mine keeps splittingd causing problems.

you can fit it all your self its a peice of wee.id never done anything like it before and it took a few hours

Dom9

Guys... If you pop to WH Smith and pick up a copy of Total Kit Car this month it has an article about stripping and rebuilding R1 carbs for car use... It also mentions the jets and also gives a list of parts needed for a conversion... I believe there is a cheaper way of getting the fuel to the carbs with the need for new regulators or pumps etc and that is to use the R1 pump and it's regulator, which are cheap from the place you got your carbs! But pop down the shops and have a read!

Peetypug
you also need to get hold of some GOOD silicone hosing.mine keeps splittingd causing problems.

you can fit it all your self its a peice of wee.id never done anything like it before and it took a few hours

i've had bogg bros make them so the original carb mountings fit the manifold (i'd rather have these than the hosing and dubilee clips)

Dom9;

I believe there is a cheaper way of getting the fuel to the carbs with the need for new regulators or pumps etc and that is to use the R1 pump and it's regulator, which are cheap from the place you got your carbs!

you can fit the bike fuel pump, but it means making some form of mounting in the tank for the pump to replace the gti one doesnt it? i got quoted £20 for the pump

i didnt think the regulator would be up to fueling a 1.9, thats why i went for the regs (and the fact im fitting a cam so would rather be able to adjust it as and when i need to)

Guest Roy
Guys... If you pop to WH Smith and pick up a copy of Total Kit Car this month it has an article about stripping and rebuilding R1 carbs for car use... It also mentions the jets and also gives a list of parts needed for a conversion... I believe there is a cheaper way of getting the fuel to the carbs with the need for new regulators or pumps etc and that is to use the R1 pump and it's regulator, which are cheap from the place you got your carbs! But pop down the shops and have a read!

thanks ill pop down and pick up a copy in the morning !

i may attempt it myself, or get them bolted on by a pro !

are there any online tutorials anyone knows off ?

thanks guys, roy

Peetypug
i may attempt it myself, or get them bolted on by a pro !

are there any online tutorials anyone knows off ?

thanks guys, roy

have a go yourself

i aint the best at messing with cars but the only way to learn is by doing it yourself (and it saves you money)

i got a quote from a garage to do this conversion with them supplying the parts and they wanted £850 all in

its cost me £350 up till now and all i need is a bit of fuel line and i have everything to do it

Peetypug
with the jets are they just a direct replacment for the standard bike ones? im having problems with mine as they aint been set up and im using loads of fuel

as far as i know the jets are direct replacements

i would get it set up properly though as you will then get the nearest jets possible to your cars spec

was told DGAS 150 jets for a 1.9 with a cam but will leave that to the garage when i get it set up

Guest Roy

highflowheads.com offer a kit for £240, does anyone have any experiance with the kit and what else is needed

Peetypug

what comes in the kit?

Guest Roy
what comes in the kit?

i rang them its just the standard body but ported and a few bits and bobs !

but the article in total kit car is very good, its all about bogg bros, ill have to scan it and upload it

Edited by Roy

Peetypug
i rang them its just the standard body but ported and a few bits and bobs !

but the article in total kit car is very good, its all about bogg bros, ill have to scan it and upload it

could you send me a copy?

will pm you my email

Maerten

I would love to see the article as well. Maybe you can post it here? If not, i've already pmed you my email :)

Thanks in advance!

Guest Roy

no problem guys.. ill scan and put a copy here for everyone, and ill e-mail you it over.

Going to ring bogg bross today

Dom9
you can fit the bike fuel pump, but it means making some form of mounting in the tank for the pump to replace the gti one doesnt it? i got quoted £20 for the pump

i didnt think the regulator would be up to fueling a 1.9, thats why i went for the regs (and the fact im fitting a cam so would rather be able to adjust it as and when i need to)

No, I believe the R1 pump would sit in the engine bay, near the carbs, in the pipe from tank to pump... You would just take the power away from the Gti pump and leave it redundant I guess?! If a Gti engine on R1 carbs produces about 140bhp and an R1 engine produces about the same then one assumes they would use about the same amount of fuel so it should be well up to the job!?

ORB
Gti engine on R1 carbs produces about 140bhp

Hmmm, what would you expect from a good condition Mi16 engine sporting R1 carbs?

dodsworth_gti

i had bogg bros set up on mine as they only just up the road from me,was very good!!!!!

can dig out some pics if you like?

oh,and i was running normal 205 pump!!!

only problem i ever had was them freezing up,and i know a few have had this problem,which is easyily solved my closing up the gaps in winter :P

davev
i had bogg bros set up on mine as they only just up the road from me,was very good!!!!!

can dig out some pics if you like?

oh,and i was running normal 205 pump!!!

only problem i ever had was them freezing up,and i know a few have had this problem,which is easyily solved my closing up the gaps in winter :P

???? do let on. im sure mine did this alot last winter. do you mean cover the grill?

hodgy
as far as i know the jets are direct replacements

i would get it set up properly though as you will then get the nearest jets possible to your cars spec

was told DGAS 150 jets for a 1.9 with a cam but will leave that to the garage when i get it set up

im running a 285 pts cam in mine and it sannoying me that im getting 17mpg! i need to get it sorted, its fun kicking flames out everywhere tho

danpug

Thats what i was getting with a set of weber 40's on my 1.9 minus a proper setup! Does anybody know what bike carbs are like economy-wise?

Guest Roy

ill get the guide up tonight, keep forgetting when i have spare time !!

hodgy

well i hope they get better once i have them set up.im trying a new place out to day in leeds that makes silicone hosing and buying some straight from them at £30.ive heard there the ppl who make it for samco but ill keep you posted and let you know bout the quaility

as regards to the R1 carbs does anyone find that driving at a constant speed say 70pmh for 15mins, does the carbs get blocked up a lil.it feels like a lil missfire so i turn engine off(while still driving and in gear) back on again,huge flame and bang then its fine again

All Praise The GTI

hodgy i think i had that problem once on my 1.9 with gsxr carbs it just conked out like no fuel so i put it down to my dodgy wiring on pump, after pulling over stopping for a min then tried to restart and was fine. didnt happen again but i sold it shortly afterwoods so i cant say really

Stonesie

Sounds like carb iceing to me, had it on my old nova and it was a case of fitting a hot air feed and diverting the flow from the bonnet vent.

Petrol takes energy to atomise, most abundant form of energy in the airflow is heat, add a bit of moisture and off ya trot.... or not in this case..

Sign in to follow this