• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kevp's 205gti

Lightened And Balanced Flywheel

kevp's 205gti

guys i have goto fit a clutch to my 205 gti 1.9 so why it was out i thought bout gettin this done. now i been quoted £80 but a guy i spoke to said its pointless as up a hill there is less inertia to help it rotate.

help guys?

large

If it is pointless why do people do it. It all depends what you use the car for, have a look on puma race engines he has a good bit on it.

engine killer

I think if you are doing a standing start, it's the lighter the better no matter going uphill or not. Imagine you roll a big rock.

Regarding to inertia, when you are going uphill and lift off the throttle just for a very short while, the weak inertia of a lighter flywheel may allow a car slow down quicker but on the other hand will give better throttle response when you back on the gas. correct me if I am wrong.

Rom

A LNB flywheel can be a worth while mod. It will reduce rotating mass, allowing the engine to pick up revs quicker. It will also loose them quicker as has been said, due to the lower weight and momentum to keep it going.

I cant recall what kind of weight can be saved of a std flywheel. But there are lighterweight wheels, if thats your thing.

Worth doing, but dont expect miracles from it ;)

max0

Not 100% but try a search as i think the 1.6 flywheel is 1kg lighter than the 1.9? Or the other way round. im sure ive read it on here. If its a road car you may have a few issues with stalling round town

Andy

rjw205

F1 cars don't even have a flywheel... (an exaggeration), but a high idle to keep the thing moving... picks up quickly, but you do have to keep the revs up when faced with a hill.

It is a worthwhile modification to do.. but get the clutch balanced with it as well.... and ideally the crank and rods + pistons (although the rods and pistons would be statically balanced)

Give Mr. Mattsav a call at QEP, as they do some very nice ali ones.

HTH

Rich

ashley peddle

before you spend hundreds try fitting a 1.6 flywheel first. Iv recently done this to my 1.9 along with a 1.6 box and i have to say that it makes a huge difference :unsure: Deffo make pulling away quicker :P

Batfink

I got one from QEP and you definitly notice a difference

kevp's 205gti

done my clutch guys :rolleyes:

Edited by kevp's 205gti

Sign in to follow this