• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kevp's 205gti

Tuning The 8v 1.9gti?

kevp's 205gti

whats the best ways to tune the 8v enigne from the 1.9 205 as apposed to fitting a mi-16?

large

Carbs sound nice at the end of the day its all down to £'s and what you want from the car.

engine killer
whats the best ways to tune the 8v enigne from the 1.9 205 as apposed to fitting a mi-16?

i think you have to ask yourself a few questions.

which way you want to go? NA or TURBO or Supercharge?

increase engine capacity or not?

top grade engine internal component?

most importantly, how much $ you wan to spend on it? 1,000quid? 2,000quid? 4,000quid?

TEKNOPUG

There isn't to be honest. Or rather, there is no cost effective way of tuning the 8v that makes any sense whatsoever compared with the cost of fitting an Mi16/GTi6. I really wouldn't spend any money whatsoever on an 8v unless it's for competition.

That's not entirely true I suppose. Turbocharging is probably the only way to go with the 8v. You could have 190+bhp cheaper and more reliably than fitting and tuning a 16v. If you are happy with less horsepower (and less torque!) then just 16v it.

Alastairh

I agree with Tekno. You could lob a £300 cam, but wouldn't really go that far.

Cheapest solution is GTI6. No rebuilding yet. Takes a weekend to install, reliable civilised running everyday.

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

Longfield

200bhp with richard longman [when i had mine built] cost circa £6,500.

220bhp at longmans [again at the time i had mine built] was circa... a lot more!

torque wise... you won't get much more from a 16v than an 8 valve but bhp per £ they are better value [and arguably you may think a tuned 16v sounds nicer which would give more enjoyment].

I'm also guessing here... but an engine swap to a 16v might be easier to insure than a highly modded 8 valve?

ashley peddle
There isn't to be honest. Or rather, there is no cost effective way of tuning the 8v that makes any sense whatsoever compared with the cost of fitting an Mi16/GTi6. I really wouldn't spend any money whatsoever on an 8v unless it's for competition.

No offence but thats a load of toff... my last 8v was more than fast enought - was faster than an Mi until you hit 3 figures and it sounded better :lol: that was with a bit of head work, 1.6 box and properly set up carbs :) granted for the money i could have had an Mi but its much more fun to tell people that 'its only an 8v' :P :P

welshpug

hmmm, 8 valves.....

:)

DamirGTI
hmmm, 8 valves.....

:P

mmm , nice one :lol: do you have/know specs. of that car ? what is that inside TB-s or carbs ? some serious head job was done for sure :) some high CR , bottom end upgrades also me thinks ...

However it looks sounds and runs very nice for one 8v ! :P

Cheers !

Damir

jackherer

A friend of mine owns that car now, minus the engine - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=200123834838

It was a Longmans engine, I have been told it originally cost five figures!

We're fitting an Mi16, a brand new one with a Catcam but nothing special really compared to the 8v it once had.

mrblonde

anyone in essex area that does engine mods and conversions etc lads??.

bobob

That car looks absolutely stunning! :wub::wub::wub:

Looks like he got it at a very good price considering all the parts on it! :)

jackherer
That car looks absolutely stunning! :wub::wub::)

It is lovely, I'm very jealous, my white Mi16 is parked next to that one at the moment and it makes mine look awful :wub:

Looks like he got it at a very good price considering all the parts on it! :)

For some reason the seller didn't put 205 in the title, I suspect that kept the price low.

Sign in to follow this