• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

1.6gti Engine Momentary Cutting Out

Dave_McC

I've recently acquired a 1.6gti phase 1.5 car with 92,000 miles on it (which I believe is true as it came with quite a bit of history, MoTs). It's been fine for the first couple of hundred miles, but earlier this week it started randomly cutting out - only for about half a second or less each time, bit like a large hiccup. In my 12 mile journey to work, it cuts maybe 3 or 4 times. No link as to straight, corner, accelerating or braking, nor to fuel level. It hasn't so far happened when cold - first time is after about 10 minutes or so driving.

Any ideas where I should start looking - any common weak spots?

Cheers

Dave

Anthony

Does the rev counter drop at the same time as it hiccups?

Dave_McC

Mmm - didn't notice. I know the dash didn't light up with the stop / ignition etc lights. Am I right that if the rev counter dropped it would indicate no low tension signal to the coil? (presume that's where the tacho takes its signal from?). I'll be using car again on saturday so will check then.

Dave

Grim.Badger

I had this a while back, it turned out to be a lose connection on the TPS; basically the ECU thought the throttle was shut and cut the fuel :wacko: Could be lots of things though.

Edited by Grim.Badger

Sign in to follow this