• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

Extremely Urgent Help Needed

Casanova

This evening I finally turned my back on the wretched gearbox on my white XS (see the TU section) and instead went to fit my 1.9 GTi brake set-up. I have brembo discs from GSF, Mintex 1144s and a set of second-hand 1.9 calipers.

I put the disc on the hub and the pads in the caliper, but upon attempting to bolt on the caliper it became apparent that there is not nearly enough of a gap between the pads to fit the assembly around the disc - the disc is 21mm thick and the gap between the pads is about 17mm. I'm flummoxed at what should be a relatively simple job... I guess either

( a ) The calipers are ones for solid discs (did they do Girling calipers for solid discs?)

( b ) The disc is the wrong one and too thick (in which case GSF cocked up, but the disc does fit the car fine)

( c ) The pads are wrong (seems unlikely as they fit in the calipers), or

( d ) The whole lot is somehow incorrectly assembled.

And ideas or advice? This car is driving me nuts at the moment even though I'm not really trying to do anything that complex :) I've taken a couple of photos but the camera cable is AWOL at the moment; I will upload them if I find it.

Please help! I'm meant to be going away in the car on Friday, and on track at Anglesey this Saturday! :)

§

Edited by Casanova

Casanova

Sigh, panic over. Thanks to the PMers who have helped a huge amount! It turned out that the calipers weren't opening as far as they needed to because the bleed nipples were still (loosely) attached. I assumed there would be no hydraulic pressure since there were no hoses. A slight tap to free the piston to the limit of its travel, and its all assembled now :) Phew!

§

kanyeost

Casanova I'm thinking of doing the same with my UK 205 Rallye, what size wheels are you running? I have 14" 106 rallye (phase1 I think), and was wondering if the 1.9 calipers would go under all right or if I'm better off going with the 1.6 calipers and 1.9 discs. Any ideas?

Edited by kanyeost

Sign in to follow this