• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205wrc

Difference Between Gti And Diesel Bodyshells

205wrc

Appart from the obvious rear arches, front wings, fuel tank and wiring looms, what are the difference - if any, between a 205 diesel shell and a 205 GTi shell.

The reason I'm asking is that I've got enough parts to build another 205 rally car, but good GTi shells are hard to find, and I've been given a mint non-sunroof G reg diesel shell.

A friend of mine bought the car for £50, sold the engine for £80 and gave me the rolling shell - beauty!!!

Bally

the brackets that hold the front brake lines to the body are oriented wrong and can cause some rubbing of brake lines and antiroll bar links, an easy fix tho.

This is a diesel shell by the way,.

Well started life as one. Its now a full blown gti with too numerous mods.

post-347-1187402337.jpg

Edited by Bally

edthedrummer

Bally, presuming that the car pictured is yours, how did you fit the gti side panels to the car? i want to do this to my dieselturbo shell, but don't see how they fit, without drilling.

Bally

I had up a post about fitting the rivets to the body with pics and stuff. Was long agao tho, dont know if it will be in the archives

I have seen a mate use small selftapping screws to fit the stuff to the body first and then use all the original clips.Or get two gti doors. Maybe easier for you. The back fenders need cutting and holes drill, and the front fender need holes drilling.

Andrew-Gray

Hi mate when you turned the non gti shell in to one what did you do about the rear arches? what size tyres do you run?

my tyres are catching on the bottom back corner of the arches.

Cheers Andy

cybernck

like he's just said:

The back fenders need cutting and holes drill

:)

btw, he's running 205/40/17 tyres (if i'm not mistaken) :lol:.

Bally

Cybernck your memory is very sharp. Measurements and templ;ates were taken from a gti shell and the fenders adjusted.

And yes that is the same car. lol

post-347-1187548494.jpg

Edited by Bally

edthedrummer

Cheers for that Bally.

dirtdog

the stdt model which i own is a derv but it's a gti shell.

STDT stands for sport trim diesel turbo. its got gti suspension, brakes, all the trim..seats but coverd in cloth rather than half leather

i previously owned a 205 xld with a gti kit on it but it sat higher and was ever so slightly narrower..plus im sure i got more boot space now

edthedrummer

i think i am using gti spec wishbones up front though? two bolt's instead of one? i think!. this is on a dturbo btw.

Edited by edthedrummer

pug_ham
the stdt model which i own is a derv but it's a gti shell.

STDT stands for sport trim diesel turbo. its got gti suspension, brakes, all the trim..seats but coverd in cloth rather than half leather

The 1.6 GTi has cloth seats, the STDT doesn't have a GTi rear beam, it has XS spec torsion bars & anti roll bar.

Graham.

dirtdog
The 1.6 GTi has cloth seats, the STDT doesn't have a GTi rear beam, it has XS spec torsion bars & anti roll bar.

Graham.

the STDT has cloth seats too. in "potato sack brown" as I like to call it. otherwise known to the pro's as "fawn"

are you sure its got XS spec torsion bar? i mean.. i'm not being cheeky like cause you obviously know more about the little frenchy than I do. i am a mere mortal afterall.lol

i thought seeing as it had gti brakes..and front suspension..it'd have the rear also? I'm buying a 1.9gti beam soon so I hope it fits

Guest Starscream

Didnt want to start a new thread so i searched about for this one.

Im in the middle of reshelling my 205 GTi into a 1.1 205 non-sunroof a phew problems that i have and im sure u can help me

1. The rear arches, i know to cut them back, but do they need welding afterwards?

2. Front Subframe mounting, on the GTi i have a bolt running into the chassis, on the 1.1 i have a small plate/rubber bush that has the bolt coming down and a nut threads on, can i use this subframe with a GTi engine on it?

3. im sure there is a 3 or there will be one soon :wub:

Edited by Starscream

Bally

1.You at least need to seal them.

2, Just bolt it up

pug_ham
Are you sure its got XS spec torsion bar? i mean.. i'm not being cheeky like cause you obviously know more about the little frenchy than I do. i am a mere mortal afterall.lol

i thought seeing as it had gti brakes..and front suspension..it'd have the rear also? I'm buying a 1.9gti beam soon so I hope it fits

As certain as I can be after rebuilding the beam on my STDT & iirc Anthony said his was the same as mine when he had one.

I still have the XS spec torsion bars & arb downstairs.

The 1.9 beam will bolt straight on.

Graham.

Guest Starscream

Cheers for that :lol:

Found No.3! How on earth do you get the brake cables to run from the passanger side to the drivers side at the rear, when u have to feed it through, Ive given up counless times now! :wub: Is there a trick?

Rob_the_Sparky

IIRC the STDT front springs are also not GTi, softer at a guess.

Sign in to follow this