• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chownr

Alternative Bodies - Mi16

chownr

Thinking of doing something out of the ordinary. I could just save up and buty a set of Throttle bodies or do a bike body conversion but fancy something different. I have two spare Gti 6 manifolds lying around and Im wondering whether you could modify the plenum to accept a GTI6 throttle body on either end? Obviously plenty of fabrication involved but I can get that at mates rates

Is it feasible? Are there any draw backs? Would it work? Any estimates of what power increases you might see? Dont need AFM as it would be on mappable ECU

Any thoughts/comments?

Rich

Richie-Van-GTi

its certainly feasible, not sure if there are any real gains to be had, it may flow more air but not sure how it would effect turbulance in the plenum, or are you thinking of splitting the plenum area as well so its in 2 with a body for each? If your going for mappable ignition anyway why not just get 4 smaller bodies from a base model car and have one on each intake retaining the standard injector position so its more like conventional bodies? That or just fabricate the existing plenum to accept a much larger body, even make the plenum larger. Eccosses red and white 306 was making well over 200bhp using a single body setup and a large carbon fibre plenum, obviously cammed and head work as well but it shows that a well designed plenum and body arrangement can be beneficial.

chownr

Ive had some discussion over turbulence in the plenum but havent any definitive answers - some say it will be detrimental, some say it wont have any effect and some say it may be an improvement.

As you say a decent single body on a decent plenum can proive good power - look at the s1600 rally cars - just thinking outside of the norm.

R

Craigb
As you say a decent single body on a decent plenum can proive good power - look at the s1600 rally cars - just thinking outside of the norm.

R

Rich

see if you can get some pictures in cross section of the S1600 inlet plenums and you will see that they are not what they seem to be :angry:

chownr

Ah

Tell me more craig!! Looks like I need to do some more research!

R

chownr

OK a quick seacrh reveals that essentially the Citroen inlet is a single throttle butterfly serving a large plenum. There is an internal filter in the plenum with 4 trumpeted tracts and individual injectors.

Isnt this identical to the GTi 6 Inlet (except for the internal air filter?) Seems like two butterflys isnt necessary/is the wrong way to go? Maybe better as Richie suggested do some machine work go for a single larger inlet butterfly or maybe larger plenum?

Rich

Sign in to follow this