• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JayCC

Gearbox Oil Leak (from Bottom Nut On Diff)

JayCC

Hi there,

i've done a search for this but can only find leaking drive shaft seals.

My driveshaft seals are fine, however i've got a bit of a leak from the bottom nut on the diff, its like the oil is getting through where the diff joins the gear box. Does this joint have a gasket?

I'm changing the driveshaft this weekend so will take a further look, is this a common problem?

Cheers

welshpug

no gaskets on the box, only sealant.

jim21070

The speedo drive housing has a big "O" ring behind it to seal it against the diff casing. It is not unknown for the three bolts securing the speedo drive housing to work loose and dribble oil a little. Oil can also leak from the speedo cable gland if the "O" rings are not in good condition.

Are you sure it's gearbox oil and not engine oil leaking from the dizzy seal or from the dipstick tube? It is easy to tell as gearbox oil has a very sickly-sweet smell not unlike cat pee.

JayCC

It's deffo gearbox oil (horrible smelly stuff), I've tightend the 3 bolts and it as slowed down but is still seeping through. Maybe they just need tightening more, when i replace the shaft i will remove the diff and place some high temp sealent (same stuff as used on the thermostat housing?) between it and the gearbox. The speedo cable recently was changed last week just before i bought it, maybe a new O ring was not fitted?

JayCC

I took the driveshaft out today (which i thought was very straight forward using tips from here and Haynes, deffo worth doing yourself) and i've got a couple of questions.

1st, which way does the drive shaft oil seal go in? Do the splines face outwards or inwards? I thought they placed inwards however the previous one on this car, the splines faced outwards :s

2nd, i've taken the speedo cable casing off (3 bolts) and there is a rubber O seal. I think this was previously causing a small leak. Can this be purchased from Pugeot on its own? Does anyone know the part number?

Cheers

James

JayCC

A = last part of the shaft i can see before it enters speedo housing

B = Speedo housing

C = Intermediate Bearing

D = Inner CV joint

E = Outer CV joint

F = Lower engine mount

G = Intermediate bearing 11mm bolts

Im having trouble refitting the drivers side shaft. I have a feeling it needs to go into the speedo housing about another 0.5 - 1 inch (i hope the pic i have attached explains this better?)

I had trouble getting the intermediate bearing into the lower engine mount but a bit of grease helped that, however i think it needs to go in abit more but i am really stuggling to move it more.

Any hints/tips?

Cheers

James

post-4729-1187727762_thumb.jpg

welshpug

turn the shaft by ghand, making syre that the other swhaft doesnt move and give it a shove inwards, if it starts to slide inwards yuou can give the end of the shaft a tap with a copper mallet.

JayCC

Thanks for the advice, i will try again tomorrow when i have got my nerv back and calmed down after todays fiasco! :lol:

I have also fitted a new drive shaft oil seal. I have fitted it so it is flush with the metal casing. I've read that some people leave it slightly pertruding, what is the right way?

Cheers

Edited by JayCC

JayCC

Update:

Managed to get the drive shaft in after hours of anger, twisting, change of plan to wear grippy gloves etc.. after my hands failed on me (ouchhhhhh! blisters under fingers)

Anyway, gearbox oil added to gearbox, double check everything is nice and tight.

Car fires up and it reverses and drives forward with no horrible sounds.

However my speedometer has stopped working. I've checked the speedo cable is firmly in place (i took the speedo casing off to add some sealent between it and the gearbox/diff)

The speedo cable got changed jsut before i bought the car (about 2 weeks ago).

Could i have damaged it?

I've also noticed the black rubber plug is not ALL the way in at the speedo housing end. It's very difficult to push it in any more. Would this cause the speedo not to work?

Edited by JayCC

BuD

Did you slot the plastic cog back into the notches on the diff when you refitted the speedo housing? Did you refit the speed sensor after putting the shaft back in?

JayCC
Did you slot the plastic cog back into the notches on the diff when you refitted the speedo housing? Did you refit the speed sensor after putting the shaft back in?

Yeh i put the red cog and sensor back into the speedo housing before i fitted it to the gearbox. I did have a little trouble getting the big plastic cog that sits into the speedo housing and spins the red cog.

I fitted the speedo cable into the speedo housing before i fitted that to the gear box.

Is it a MOT fail if the speedometer is not working? I was thinking of getting a GPS speedo guage.

pug_ham
Yeh i put the red cog and sensor back into the speedo housing before i fitted it to the gearbox. I did have a little trouble getting the big plastic cog that sits into the speedo housing and spins the red cog.

I fitted the speedo cable into the speedo housing before i fitted that to the gear box.

Is it a MOT fail if the speedometer is not working? I was thinking of getting a GPS speedo guage.

Did you fit the big plastic cog the right way round? It only fits one way round to work as it has two teeth that fit into the diff & drive it.

Pop the cable out of the box & spin it by hand with someone watching the speedo needle to see if it moves. If it does then something isn't meshed right inside the box.

I think it will be an mot fail if the speedo doesn't work but it depends if the tester notices.

Graham.

JayCC

It looks like the attached picture if that helps?

I cliped the big plastic cog into the diff 1st (can only slide in one way i found? where the notches line up)

Then i fitted the speedo sensor (red cog) and speedo cable to the speedo housing.

post-4729-1187884991_thumb.jpg

Edited by JayCC

JayCC

The speedo sensor looks like this.

The rubber "lug" does not go in flush (the end bit of the lug up against the plastic casing).

Does it need to be pushed right inside?

Birds eye view of the speedo cable entering the speedo sensor.

post-4729-1187885371_thumb.jpg

welshpug

doesnt really matter if the rubber pin isnt pushed all the way in, all it does is stop the cable from coming loose, though if you cant get it in fully it may be that the cable isnt seated properly yet, try pulling it through rather than just pushing it.

is part 3 inside the housing?

205be3speedodrive.jpg

JayCC

All fixed!!!! wooohoooo

I needed to push down on the cable whilst pushing the rubber lug into the housing!

There we go. A mechanical novice changed a drivers side drive shaft and fixed a gearbox leak using nothing but haynes and 205drivers forums for advice.

Sod these garages who charge a fortune, DIY as the way forward!!!

A very happy JayCC! :wacko:

p.s i'd like to thank everyone for their advice and helpful tips/hints.

Edited by JayCC

BuD

Was just reading through and was going to post that it all sounds right to me! Glad you cracked it.

large

Glad it is all sorted! The MOT point, it sould have past as they don't drive the car how do they know if the speedo it working. ^_^

Sign in to follow this