• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sussex_gti

Best Suspension Kit Circa 300 Quid?

sussex_gti

Whats the best for around this money? I dont drive overly hard, maybe just some enthusiastic use at weekends. I dont want to go too low. Just want a nice ride, which allows me to have fun occasionally. Just changed my arb links, and am going to polybush my lower arms next weekend. I used to have Bilsteins on my Tipo (dont laugh, was quite special!). Any ideas as to where to go? Demon tweeks seem extremely expensive.

Chris.

Guest NickMiami
Whats the best for around this money? I dont drive overly hard, maybe just some enthusiastic use at weekends. I dont want to go too low. Just want a nice ride, which allows me to have fun occasionally. Just changed my arb links, and am going to polybush my lower arms next weekend. I used to have Bilsteins on my Tipo (dont laugh, was quite special!). Any ideas as to where to go? Demon tweeks seem extremely expensive.

Chris.

I've just bought a set of fully adjustable for height and damping GAZ coilovers from ebay for £350 brand new, im sure he's selling more at the minute and they seem good quality as you would expect.

:lol:

Nathan

Bilsteins aren't much more than your budget, only drop the car 20mm and are worth every penny imo.

sussex_gti

Nick: I've seen the Gaz coilovers, whats the ride like?

Nathan: Can you suggest a good retailer for Bilstein?

Chris.

Sandy

Miles

KAM Racing

Save a bit longer for the Bilsteins, they are the best I've tried.

Miles

A good budget set up is the Bilstein Streetline front's and New Std rear damper's as not many people have made good rear damper's for the torsion beam set up, Along with some Eibach spring's you'll keep a faie ride (As a 205 can be)

RossD

I'm in the same situation here, trying to decide on the Bilstein Sprintline(?) with maybe Eibach or SBC springs, or the Gaz coilover setup. The advantage of the Gaz being its fully adjustable, but are the shock absorbing properties as good as the Bilstein? Also I'm a bit concerned that the Gaz ride will be solid, which, if I use it on the road is not good! I suppose you can change the springs a lot easier with coilovers though.... Any advice?

sussex_gti

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the Gaz suspension, as it's fully adjustable, but as Ross mentioned, whats the ride like?

Guest NickMiami

Depends what springs you go for and remember there adjustable for damping so the ride can be whatever you want it to be :angry:

Do a search for gaz there's lots of threads on them, mines are perfect, couldn't ask for any better

bobbbette

i'm using konis at the moment which are fully adjustable at the front and 3 settings for the back. car is only lowered about 30mm but i find ride is a bit too harsh for british roads.

sonofsam
i'm using konis at the moment which are fully adjustable at the front and 3 settings for the back. car is only lowered about 30mm but i find ride is a bit too harsh for british roads.

Thats funny you should say that, as I use Konis yellow's front and back lowered 30mm with solid mounts and find it fine and dandy for road use :angry:

Infact the car is my daily runner..

Rob Thomson

Why not new standard? Last time I added it up I could get new genuine Pug front/rear dampers for £280 inc. They're absolutely brilliant in my experience. Very good quality, last ages, and most importantly give ride and handling the way that Pug intended. Out of the box this is one of the best drivers cars ever made - why f*ck with it?

I'm surprised no-one's said anything, but the poly wishbone bushes are s*it. They wear out very quickly, squeak like bastards, and don't give any benefit anyway. Stick to standard. The 205's ARB bushes are polyurethane as standard; so it's not like this is new technology. Pug would've fitted poly bushes to the wihbones if there was any benefit, but there isn't.

Alastairh
A good budget set up is the Bilstein Streetline front's and New Std rear damper's as not many people have made good rear damper's for the torsion beam set up, Along with some Eibach spring's you'll keep a faie ride (As a 205 can be)

Sounds like a good setup. yes i know i ought to pick up the phone or search but any idea what price the rear shocks are from pug?

i ought to revise my suspension, the streetlines are a little special :angry:

Would you rate the pug std shocks better than Bilie sprintlines?

Edited by Alastairh

RossD
Why not new standard? Last time I added it up I could get new genuine Pug front/rear dampers for £280 inc. They're absolutely brilliant in my experience. Very good quality, last ages, and most importantly give ride and handling the way that Pug intended. Out of the box this is one of the best drivers cars ever made - why f*ck with it?

Well in my case, I can get a full Gaz setup for £350, and the damper rates are fully adjustable, ride height is adjustable and a wide range of springs are available. Hence the dilemma! Standard for circa £280, or fully tweakble for £350!!

Miles

The rear 306 Pug Dampers (K6's) are a shade over £60.00 each which thinking about it is a good upgrade for the 205 (Direct fit),

The Sprintlines are better than the std one's and about a tenner more each, I'd still use the Group 'N' ones personally thou

Good point about the bushes, I've forgotton how many time's I have said that Rob

But as ever, suspension is a personal thing, what someone may like the other may not, But as ever you pay for what you get, If somethings cheap it cheap for a reason

Alan_M

Get the Bilstein Sprintline kit, new springs (Eibach or SBC), new top mounts/bearings and you'll be sorted.

The Billies are better than any coilover kit of the same price range IMO......Unless your doing some serious trackdays, I cant see the point of adjustable suspension.

Sign in to follow this