• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

205 Cti Not Starting Via Key.

CaptainP

Hi,

I bought a G plate CTI last night as a restoration project for the winter. It bump starts fine but won't fire when turning the key. New battery fitted, and all leads & plugs tested. After a quick search I've read about the ignition amp being a problem (it's in a different place on my H plate.... thought I was going mad). I took the coil off tonight to get to it and when I removed the main HT lead there isn't anything it connects too. On top of the coil is there supposed to be a connector similar to the end of a spark plug or should the HT lead really just slop into the hole in the coil? If this is correct, then cool - if so I'll swap the ignition amp and be on my way, if not is my coil broken? Also are ignition amps interchangable or do I need to get one that's exactly the same as I took off?

Thanks

Steve

jackherer

If it bump starts its not an ignition problem. Do a search for starter motor problems and brown mulitplug problems.

CaptainP

Jack thanks for the prompt reply, I should have added that once it's been initially bump started I can switch the engine off and it'll start 3,4,5 times in a row no problem. When I went to look at the car yesterday we had to bump it, and the same tonight when we picked it up. There was a can of *easy start* in the glove box :/

steve@cornwall
Jack thanks for the prompt reply, I should have added that once it's been initially bump started I can switch the engine off and it'll start 3,4,5 times in a row no problem. When I went to look at the car yesterday we had to bump it, and the same tonight when we picked it up. There was a can of *easy start* in the glove box :/

Whip off the distributer cap and clean the faces of the brass contacts, I bet they will be badly corroded and probably need some prising with a small screwdriver etc. and clean the rotor arm too. Seem to give VERY high resistance, especially if stood for a while.

Oh, and another local CTI... PICCIES please

bobbbette

last starting problem i had was caused by a badly wired immobiliser which was killing a relay.

Sign in to follow this