• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

306 D-turbo Brakes On A 205?

ORB

I recently ruined my front calipers on my 205 GTi 1.6 whilst trying to restore them (snapped bleed nipples and then killed them trying to get it sorted)

I then went to my 'stores' and got the spare ones out, and they had been killed too.

So, I know I can go to the wreckers yard tomorrow and get another set og GTi brakes, but I was wondering if the D-turbo ones are:

- Any better

- The same (think they are)

- The same fitment?

Any ideas?

Cheers

welshpug
- Any better

- The same (think they are)

- The same fitment?

probably, as they'll be a fair bit younger, check the piston sizes (1.6 gti and dturbo)

possibly 266mm, earlier cars had 247mm.

theyll fit a 1.9 no probs, unsure about the 1.6 :ph34r:

ORB

Yeah, i was unsure about the 1.6

Side topic. Are the Girling brakes better than the Bendix on a 1.6 or Vice Versa?

Mikey S

247mm 306 d turbo ate calipers fit the 1.6 fine as i run them on mine. you will need the caliper bolts from the 306 as iirc there shorter than the 1.6 bolts.

they fit using the 205 flexi hoses and the 1.6 discs.

Anthony

My experience of the ATE calipers from 306 DTurbo's and the like is that they're frankly useless - certainly most 306's with them are somewhat underwhelming in the braking department, and the two 205's I've driven with them were very mediocre at best.

Just get some 1.9 GTi type Girling calipers and be done with it - most Citroen ZX's with vented disks have them, and so long as the sliders move freely, they seem to work far better than most aging Bendix and ATE calipers. You'll need the bolts as well btw.

Mikey S

i feel we have been here before...! B):D

if there good enough for a 106 gti.... :D

Baz

106 GTi brakes leave a bit to be desired IMO!! As do the 247mm 306DT brakes!! So may explain a few things if they're the same!!

The later 266mm ones however, are a different kettle of fish! B)

stuRALLYE

hmmm i understand that 1.9 calipers wont fit on 1.6 hubs? and will 306 dturbo calipers fit behind my s2 rallye steelies? 2 b fair i dont think any brakes could be worse than the standard xs jobbies

stuRALLYE

ok so ive just spent ages looking through all the old posts and now im a bit confused, if someone could clear it all up for me it would be nice.

i have both standard xs hubs and 1.6 gti hubs and im looking at getting some calipers from the scrappy, but it looks like i can get the 266mm caliper set up if i use the xs hubs, but if i use the gti hubs i can only fit the 247mm discs?

any help is welcome because i get paid soon and i want 2 go down to the scrappy and know that im deffinatly going to be buying stuff that will fit!

Baz

1.9 or 306DT calipers etc will fit the 1.6 hubs, but only with 1.6 offset discs. Anything else can be used to make use of bigger disc setups etc, base models such as your XS hubs are useable yes, but then you'd have to use the right driveshafts to match the hubs.

Anthony
i have both standard xs hubs and 1.6 gti hubs and im looking at getting some calipers from the scrappy, but it looks like i can get the 266mm caliper set up if i use the xs hubs, but if i use the gti hubs i can only fit the 247mm discs?

Correct. XS (and any base model) hubs are the same offset as 1.9 GTi but use the smaller splined 1.6 GTi type driveshafts, and hence using base model hubs opens up a whole heap of brake upgrades - 266mm XSi/S16, GTi-6, GTi-180, 307 etc, whereas if you use 1.6 GTi hubs you're pretty much stuck using 1.6 GTi disks and hence 247mm.

stuRALLYE

awesome! thanks for your help. and its off 2 the scrappy we go........

Mikey S
106 GTi brakes leave a bit to be desired IMO!! As do the 247mm 306DT brakes!! So may explain a few things if they're the same!!

The later 266mm ones however, are a different kettle of fish! :)

eh?? :) 106 gti's were always raved about regards the brakes. have you ever seen the top gear with it outbraking a 911??

ORB

Ok.

I just found a 306 XSi

What about the brakes on that for my 1.6?

Mikey S
Ok.

I just found a 306 XSi

What about the brakes on that for my 1.6?

266mm so they wont fit on your 1.6 hubs.

Baz
eh?? :) 106 gti's were always raved about regards the brakes. have you ever seen the top gear with it outbraking a 911??

Nope! Never saw that, interesting though, the 2 or 3 that i've driven have felt less than comfortable brake-wise! I remember having a go in a friends and thinking that the 106 XSi's brakes i had at the time were much better, and i used to think they were poor too! :)

Anthony
266mm so they wont fit on your 1.6 hubs.

Swap to base model hubs. They'll work with 1.6 driveshafts, and you can run 266mm XSi brakes fine on them

Sign in to follow this