• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Advanced Dizzy Timing?

djinuk

I have advanced the dizzy slightly on my 1.4 xs , and it runs really well (although over runs when turned of) however when i drive the car under load (going up a hill in a high gear) i can hear a tapping noise quite distinctly, is this the tappets, and should i worry about it at all. Other than that the car is running well, although killing fuel with the hot weather,

jackherer

That noise is pinking which will cause severe damage fairly fast. The running on is caused by very hot spots in the combustion chambers. Its vital that you retard it until you don't hear any pinking.

djinuk

will sort that out then :), thank you

welshpug

yep, basically find that hill, knock it back a fraction, and see if it still does it.

djinuk

rite i retarded it and still does it, spoke 2 merchanic and he said its just tappets nothing to worry about, so ive put it back same as before..

is there any reason the performance of the car should be so bad when its warm and sunny compared to at night ?

Faz85
rite i retarded it and still does it, spoke 2 merchanic and he said its just tappets nothing to worry about, so ive put it back same as before..

is there any reason the performance of the car should be so bad when its warm and sunny compared to at night ?

warmer air can tend to affect performance, because the air is less dense, but not massively. The tappets shouldnt be any worse going up hill, a more pronounced tapping noise under load is a characteristic of pinking, which has been suggested already. by how much did you retard the dizzy?

Edited by Faz85

djinuk
warmer air can tend to affect performance, because the air is less dense, but not massively. The tappets shouldnt be any worse going up hill, a more pronounced tapping noise under load is a characteristic of pinking, which has been suggested already. by how much did you retard the dizzy?

a few degrees, it lowered the tick overs from 1.5k to 1.0k

but then i went and retarded it a lot more and raised the tick over on the carb, and the tapping was still there.

ive found out tonight the tapping is always there, its just when going up a hill in a high gear the engine noise goes down so there for the ticking is more pronounced.

ive also found my fuel tank has a tiny pin prick in it on the top where sum1 screwed a self tapper through it from in the car

sutol
a few degrees, it lowered the tick overs from 1.5k to 1.0k

but then i went and retarded it a lot more and raised the tick over on the carb, and the tapping was still there.

If the engine speed increases when you turn the dizzy (vac pipe removed) then you are turning it the right way whichever way that is advance or retard. Then put the vac pipe back and check that it doesn't pink/knock under load, if it does then retard it a bit at a time until it stops pinking.

When you remove the vacuum pipe the tickover should slow down a lot, put it back and it should speed up again.

You need fastest tickover with vac pipe off then refit vac pipe and adjust tickover on carb. Then road test for pinking. You can check for serious pinking by bliping the throttle.

Works for me but at your own risk. ( It'll be fine)

sutol
If the engine speed increases when you turn the dizzy (vac pipe removed) then you are turning it the right way whichever way that is advance or retard. Then put the vac pipe back and check that it doesn't pink/knock under load, if it does then retard it a bit at a time until it stops pinking.

When you remove the vacuum pipe the tickover should slow down a lot, put it back and it should speed up again.

You need fastest tickover with vac pipe off then refit vac pipe and adjust tickover on carb. Then road test for pinking. You can check for serious pinking by bliping the throttle.

Works for me but at your own risk. ( It'll be fine)

Above is a total load of twaddle issued by someone who should know what he is talking about but has had one two many to drink before sitting down at a keyboard and trying to explain in difficult terms something which is realy quite simple.

Do not take the vacuum advance pipe off.

Turn the dizzy untill the engine runs at its fastest.

Set the tickover.

Remove vac pipe and check that the engine slows down.

Refit vac pipe and engine speeds up.

That is basic timing set on a standard engine.

You can set optimum timing on the road by timing acceleration between two points in say third gear from say 2500rpm to 4000 rpm or whichever is the range you want power in.

Keep advancing a little at a time until you get the fastest time without pinking.

If pinking occurs then retard a little.

Easy isn't it.

Sign in to follow this