• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

Bloody ***ing Gearbox

Casanova

You know those conservationists in China trying to get the uninterested giant pandas to mate? Well I'm having the same trouble with an engine and box that are very reluctant to get it on.

Am changing the gearbox on one of my XSes, and making a right meal of it. The new box is sitting in the engine bay, lined up with the engine, and located on the long driveshaft (which I've left fitted to avoid getting involved with that intermediate bearing). As far as I can see, it should just slide on the input shaft, but its not playing ball. We've tried rotating the flywheel a tiny bit at a time to help line the splines up but it just refuses to go on. I've been lying on the ground on my back, kicking the gearbox onto the engine until my feet are bruised and sore, but they just won't do it. Help! Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to this?

I've changed an engine before, leaving the box in place (and fitting them together was a pain then too) but not done it the other way round before. I really need this car running by the weekend so any advice would be hugely appreciated!

§

Jrod

Have you changed the clutch? If it's not aligned properly then it won't go back together (and if you haunt changed the clutch you may aswell while the box is off? :lol: )

jim21070

As Jrod says, check carefully clutch plate alignment, It only needs to be a tad out :)

Also, I find it is very difficult to get a 'box back on with the long driveshaft intermediate bearing still in place. Bite the bullet and separate it. I think you'll struggle for ever more like this.

A foolproof method is to soak the bearing and housing in Plus-Gas and then, making sure the "Hockey Sticks" are well clear, is to tap the bearing out by applying a large and long cold chisel with the end ground to a dish shape (to sit snugly on the shaft) to the bearing collar attached to the driveshaft and tapping with a very large hammer.

Edited by jim21070

Casanova

I haven't changed the clutch, it has only done 3000 miles since I last did it. I guess it could have been knocked out of alignment when I took the old box out?

I'll attack the intermediate bearing when I get home :)

§

sutol

If you have oil in the g/box then this won't help but maybe you can improvise.

I find that a wooden peg stuck through the diff drainplug hole and located in the crownwheel stops it moving whilst you are trying to line splines up. Click it in gear first.

If the box is locked up then you only have to wiggle the whole lot to get it in.

Problem I find is that the first motion shaft in the box tends to move as you are trying to line up, this stops it.

Works for me so best of luck.

calvinhorse
You know those conservationists in China trying to get the uninterested giant pandas to mate? Well I'm having the same trouble with an engine and box that are very reluctant to get it on.

:):)B) thats brilliant!

Gregg

How many locating dowles have you got inplace? It's possible you may have one in the engine and one in the gearbox in the same place, as such it won't slide into place. May sound obvious and make you look stupid, but I know someone who did this when changing their gearbox :)

Casanova
How many locating dowles have you got inplace? It's possible you may have one in the engine and one in the gearbox in the same place, as such it won't slide into place. May sound obvious and make you look stupid, but I know someone who did this when changing their gearbox :)

Its not close enough for that to be an issue unfortunately - its not close enough to use the bolts to clamp them together, so the dowels are a good inch at least from coming into play. Plus I checked :)

Have given up unfortunately - tried all the above but it just isn't happening. After much sulking and grumbling its booked in to the garage for Wednesday as I am meant to be going on holiday in it on Friday, and then on track at Anglesey this Saturday! Am a little concerned about towing it to the garage with the engine hanging down unsupported on the nearside so hopefully getting it trailered... more expense B)

§

Sign in to follow this