• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gibbo GTI

2.0 Mi16 Conversion

allanallen
ITS ALIVE!!!! :):)

Finally managed to fire the engine up yesterday afternoon :) A great big thanks to everyone here who's helped out with getting it running. Need to sort the downpipe out and tidy a few bits up and it will be ready for the road :D.

top man, now get out in it and give it death :)

Gibbo GTI

Finally managed to get the downpipe sorted :rolleyes: Went for a drive to make sure there was plenty of clearance for the downpipe. The engine wouldn't idle on its own (new lambda and plugs fittted) and it is really flat on acceleration and not very good above 4.5K revs either. I noticed the exhaust was popping when lifting off the throttle, so could be overfuelling. On a plus note though, the rev counter works lol

allanallen
The engine wouldn't idle on its own (new lambda and plugs fittted) and it is really flat on acceleration and not very good above 4.5K revs either.

check the cam timing aswell buddy :rolleyes:

whizzer71

As well as your acav system m8,not that it will upset the idle too much but will cause lack of go up top !

:P

Gibbo GTI

Idle problem sorted. I took the oil breather and cold start pipework off of the inlet pipe and found that they had been connected the wrong way round. The cold start was going through a tiny hole in the spigot and the breather had a massive hole to go through. I swapped it all over and all is well :P

The arms on the AVAC diaphrams aren't moving. I have checked all the vacuum hoses and all looks ok there. I have sourced a brand new electrovalve solenoid for £15 delivered, hopefully that'll sort that problem out.

Whilst out driving I booted it in 3rd to about 6K rpm and felt a slight hesitation just as I was changing gear. I looked in the mirror and saw shed loads of smoke behind me. I pulled over and there was smoke coming out from under the bonnet :) After looking from underneath to see if there were any flames before opening the bonnet I was happy to see none. When I opened the bonnet there was loads of oil on the top of the engine and down the back of it onto the exhaust. I noticed that the dipstick was sticking out about 1 1/2 inches, so hopefully thats where the oil has come from. The dipstick doesn't feel very secure when its fitted.

Sign in to follow this