• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gibbo GTI

2.0 Mi16 Conversion

Gibbo GTI

Started my 2.0 mi16 engine conversion on monday. So far i've managed to removed the old 1.9 8v and its associated wiring and fitted the mi engine on its mounts with driveshafts in :lol:

Tomorrows job is to fit the wiring harness (this engine was removed from a 205 and the harness has modified for the 205 sensors)

Couple of problems that i've come across are:

The engine sits too high and is fouling on the bonnet to the point that i can't close it. Whats the easiest and cheapest way to sort it?

Need a different downpipe as the 205 one is too small to fit the manifold. Which one do i need?

The usual master cylinder clearance problems.

I need to have the car sorted asap as its my daily drive for work etc... Any help/assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated

Edited by Gibbo GTI

Baz

Bonnet, is it using standard mounts? It may just catch the bonnet but not that much over the usual bonnet line i wouldn't have thought. Perhaps an Auto bonnet (bulged) is on the cards then.

Downpipe, i kept the one from the Donor vehicle with my 2.0 Mi, but i didn't think there was much in it from the normal 205 downpipe tbh so couldn't say.

Gibbo GTI
Bonnet, is it using standard mounts? It may just catch the bonnet but not that much over the usual bonnet line i wouldn't have thought. Perhaps an Auto bonnet (bulged) is on the cards then.

Downpipe, i kept the one from the Donor vehicle with my 2.0 Mi, but i didn't think there was much in it from the normal 205 downpipe tbh so couldn't say.

Am using group N engine & gearbox mounts. With the bonnet lowered its sitting around 1"-2" high, i've removed the sound proofing which has helped. Looks like its catching on the injector wiring plastic cover. An auto bonnet might be the solution or removing part of the strengthening bar in the middle.

I'm a little tired which is why my posts are not very ordered lol

Miles

Very odd problems, I;ve fitted a couple of these and never had any problems, The cam cover normally just needs triming to miss the M/S and the 205 downpipe should be a direct fit unless you have a pattern one fitted?

cossie350

Im with you about the exhaust being too small as i had the same problem and used the downpipe from the donor car, M/S clearance can be solved by altering the engine mount but i would look further into why you cant shut the bonnet first as this seems strange :D . Ive got plenty of clearance and have never heard of this problem before.

GLPoomobile

Send B1ack_Mi16 a PM. I could be way off, but I've got a vague memory of him saying his sat much higher, although his is a mad hybrid thingyme (S16 block and mi16 head? :D ).

EDIT: I'm talking s*ite. It was clearance with the ITB air filter that was an issue. Typical stuff.

Edited by GLPoomobile

allanallen
Looks like its catching on the injector wiring plastic cover

I didnt run the injector cover on mine and had no major clearance issues, so its perhaps worth removing it!??

downpipe, i got a new one from a local exhaust place off a 2.0 8v 405 (i think) and welded the flange onto the 205 1 at a bit of an angle.

m/c clearance, as miles says slight trimming of the coil pack cover and the cambelt cover. I also pushed the engine over as much as possible on the gearbox mount (towards the drivers side)

have fun, al

Gibbo GTI

Thanks for the help guys :)

I've found a S16 cat on fleabay for very little money which i'll modify (cat bit removed) to fit the rest of my system, should be no probs with size now :)

I have a spare top mount that i've lowered slightly, will try that later tonight. I trimmed the corner off the m/c before fitting the engine as someone else had done. Will trim the coil pack cover tonight.

As for the bonnet, I trimmed a small section out of the strengthening bar on the drivers side, now the bonnet shuts properly B)

Here's a crude pic of the trimmed section, will tidy it up.

post-8769-1186655253_thumb.jpg

Gibbo GTI

Does anyone know what the greeen circled hose is for on the throttle body of the 2.0 mi16?

post-8769-1186990792_thumb.jpg

pug309twin40s
Does anyone know what the greeen circled hose is for on the throttle body of the 2.0 mi16?

that originally would have been connected the the 405 airbox or piping

i had it left disconnected when i was first using the s16 engine in my goodwood but then connected a hose from it to the induction kit piping.

Gibbo GTI
that originally would have been connected the the 405 airbox or piping

i had it left disconnected when i was first using the s16 engine in my goodwood but then connected a hose from it to the induction kit piping.

Cheers, will leave it as is then. Wasn't sure if it was a coolant hose to the throttle body like the gti has. Should hopefully have the downpipe tomorrow and maybe have it running tomorrow night :huh:

Gibbo GTI

Am after pics of the vacuum pipework from the inlet manifold to where ever they go and where the servo hose goes to on the 2.0 mi16 engine.

cheers

Gibbo GTI

Right, finally got around to firing it up tonight. Unfortunately the fuel pump doesn't seem to be running. The engine is turning over, albeit not that quick but thats prob down to the battery been sat for nearly 2 weeks. I put a multimeter on the fuel pump live atthe pump connector and its alternating between 0v 12v 0v 12v etc... I can hear something clicking in the engine bay as well whilst cranking the engine over. The engine was removed from a 205 and I wired it up as per the previous owners instructions. Am a little miffed and tired (which doesn't help). Any suggestions?

allanallen
Right, finally got around to firing it up tonight. Unfortunately the fuel pump doesn't seem to be running. The engine is turning over, albeit not that quick but thats prob down to the battery been sat for nearly 2 weeks. I put a multimeter on the fuel pump live atthe pump connector and its alternating between 0v 12v 0v 12v etc... I can hear something clicking in the engine bay as well whilst cranking the engine over. The engine was removed from a 205 and I wired it up as per the previous owners instructions. Am a little miffed and tired (which doesn't help). Any suggestions?

i would think the clicking will be the double relay that controls fuel pump, for starters i'd try charging your battery and checking all your earths.

Gibbo GTI

Forgot to add last night (too tired) these pics showing constant live, switched live and fuel pump live. Ive connected the earths to the gearbox and the chassis in the same place they were originally (using BE3 box).

The Fuel pump live is from wire 121

The wires I connected to a switched live in the pic are CC8 (yellow) and 882 (green), they came as per pic

post-8769-1187250042_thumb.jpg

post-8769-1187250058_thumb.jpg

post-8769-1187250344_thumb.jpg

Gibbo GTI

And a pic of the ignition amps and injection double relay. I earthed the bar the ignition amps are on direct to the battery -ve.

post-8769-1187250564_thumb.jpg

post-8769-1187250623_thumb.jpg

Gibbo GTI
i would think the clicking will be the double relay that controls fuel pump, for starters i'd try charging your battery and checking all your earths.

The clicking was from the injection double relay which would explain why the voltage at the fuel pump connector was alternating. Unfortunately I haven't been able to charge the battery today as the power at work has been off today and is off tomorrow. Good for us to have the time off but crap for sorting my car out lol.

allanallen
I earthed the bar the ignition amps are on direct to the battery -ve.

not certain of this but i thought the ignition modules had there own earth (wires) and were insulated from the bar they are mounted on. I had alot of trouble on my conversion and it turned out to be the earths to the modules. Best to wire em straight to the battery.

Gibbo GTI

There's no earth wires coming out of the loom close to the amps unless its the ones that go to the gearbox earthing point. They are bolted down tight and the battery -ve is connected to them as well.

Been looking at new batteries as the mi runs a beefier battery. Not sure how old my battery is or the condition of it on the inside.

pug309twin40s

there should be a smallish earth wire coming from the ignition amps, that needs connecting to the negative on battery to make sure they work,

then there should be another earth wire by the main connetion end of the loom(where the CC8, fuel pump wires) are.

then just the 4 main red live wires(which you have connected already to power block,

then the CC8 and fuel pump wires then it should run

Gibbo GTI
there should be a smallish earth wire coming from the ignition amps, that needs connecting to the negative on battery to make sure they work,

Don't recall seeing any unconnected wires around the amps. I take it that it would go to pin 4? (earth) on the amps. I will have another look next time i'm on the car. Will also disconnect the amps and conn check the earth line on the amp connector to earth and run a new one if its o/c.

I appreciate everyones help so much. Thankyou :)

pug309twin40s

i'll check where the earth wire connects to near the amps on my loom and check the other earth wire and see if theres a number on it.

Gibbo GTI

Cheers mate :)

Gibbo GTI

I feel so stupid, basic mistake :(

I charged the battery up and it was still the same. I went to remove the +ve lead from the battery and thought, ooh thats a bit warm. So I gave it another quick turn over this time watching the alternator belt, it didn't move. The slow turning noise I had been hearing was the knackered starter motor. I then checked to see if the solenoid wiring was ok, which it was. I get 12.8v at the starter connector with it disconnected but with it connected to the solenoid its being dragged down to 3v. Arrgh, should have checked that straight away. Oh well, motor factors will have one for me this aft or tomorrow morning.

Gibbo GTI

ITS ALIVE!!!! :):)

Finally managed to fire the engine up yesterday afternoon :) A great big thanks to everyone here who's helped out with getting it running. Need to sort the downpipe out and tidy a few bits up and it will be ready for the road :).

Sign in to follow this