• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TEKNOPUG

Vw Golf Mk5 Suspension Query

TEKNOPUG

I've persuaded a mate with a MK5 Golf Turbo to uprate the suspension as he's had it chipped but it's very wallowy. He duly went out and bought some Eibach springs but muggins here has been tasked with fitting them tomorrow. I'm presuming that it will be the same as any other fwd car? I've got all the tools etc but is there anything unusual to look out for? I've changed the front springs on 205's numerous times so I assume that it will be the same process as that? Anyone had any experience of these Golfs - things like jacking points, positioning of axel stands etc? I'm thinking that it will just be: remove wheel, undo droplink from strut, undo hub clamp bolt, lower hub on jack to avoid dropping too far and pulling driveshaft from gearbox, undo top mounts, replace in reverse order? The rears look dead easy as I think that you just need to undo the lower shock bolt and the springs just slide off?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

welshpug

not sure of the Mk5, but the earleir ones i've worked on have 2 clamp bolts that hold the strut on, undo these and you dont have to bother with the driveshaft, and I'm sure the ARB is on the lower arm not the strut, may be wrong though.

youll need a special tool for the top nut as well.

TEKNOPUG

Why, what's the score with the top nut?

TEKNOPUG

Had a look, it's just a conventional hex nut. Can't see how the top mounts attach to the body though - there are no studs/nuts etc. Weird. I'm sure that it will all become apparent tomorrow though........

Sign in to follow this