• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adnic69

Mi16 Running Problems

Adnic69

I am sure that you have seen my other problems in posts.

It has now got over the constant misfire, was due to a bad injector connection.

The problem I have now is that it idles like a pig which it did'nt when it was first going. I have canged the blue plug(ecu temp sensor) cleaned the afm, checked plug connection, no change after this.

I was sure the ecu temp sensor was the cause as it is runnig SO rich. Nearly 3/4 of a tank has got me 110 miles.

Once it is going it's ok, it just seems to be at part throttle it coughs, splutters and does the odd backfire.

Any ideas welcome.

jackherer

You're not having much luck given that the entire management setup you're using was previously on a daily driver and had never missed a beat/fuel consumption was fine and you've rebuilt the engine :) Has it had a new dist. cap and rotor arm? They are pretty flaky on Mi16s and simply removing and refitting them can kill them off. I always replace both the cap and arm together although I'm probably just being superstitious...

I'll pay you a visit sometime to get this sorted, not sure when I'll be in MK next but I'll be in touch.

Adnic69

New plugs, cap and rotor. Tried other ht leads, fpr. Would the tdc sensor cause this?

Thanks Kieran, your right, I am not having much luck no.

brianthemagical

idle mixture?

jackherer
Would the tdc sensor cause this?

I wouldn't rule it out but in my experience the engine wont run at all when the tdc fails.

taylorspug

Swap another good AFM onto it, once they go wrong (and it will eventually), the fuel consumption will go through the roof. That wont cure the idle problem though, as the afm is doing nothing at idle.

28CRAIG

Hi Adam i can grab my crank sensor and afm from 205 parts on saterday and pop round if you like.

GLPoomobile
Swap another good AFM onto it, once they go wrong (and it will eventually), the fuel consumption will go through the roof. That wont cure the idle problem though, as the afm is doing nothing at idle.

Are you sure about that Dan? You are forgetting the reason I currently have your spare AFM on my MI - it wouldn't idle for toffee because the spring tension went tits and the fuelling was shot.

proaxis2

Hi Guys

Have either of you Milton Keynes boys got a spare ECU I could borrow for a test run please?

I'm also having running problems with my Mi16.

It's quite a strange one with mine, as it will tick over and run fine for miles (all the way to Cadwell and back).

However as soon as you start pushing it, the thing starts to hesitate and jump about. It started after leaving the car for few weeks in the garage.

Tried 4 different ignition amps, wierdly it doesn't like known good ones, replaced cap and rotor arm, plugs leads. Tried known working coil too.

It's deffo ingnition as opposed to fueling as it runs fine until I start to push it.

Anyway, any chance I gate crash you rough 'running Mi gathering' ;) on Saturday if you've got an ECU I could borrow please.

Cheers

Adam

28CRAIG
Hi Guys

Have either of you Milton Keynes boys got a spare ECU I could borrow for a test run please?

Cheers

Adam

Are you after a 2 or 3 row?

proaxis2

To be honest, I don't know. How can I tell the difference?

28CRAIG
To be honest, I don't know. How can I tell the difference?

Have a look at the ecu where the loom plugs in if there are 3 rows of pins it's a 3 row if there are 2 then it's a 2 row.

Adnic69

Evening gents

A try of another AFM would be great Craig.

I will be in at home from about 11- 1. Then off to look at a car.

I have found that if I play with the afm plug it affects how it runs. I have checked all pins and for broken wires but can't see anything wrong. Wondering if the AFM is the cause.

Ad

taylorspug
Are you sure about that Dan? You are forgetting the reason I currently have your spare AFM on my MI - it wouldn't idle for toffee because the spring tension went tits and the fuelling was shot.

I was thinking more along the lines of the usual AFM issue, worn carbon track and the motor going a bit flat (which would affect the car when it was up and running on part/full throttle, but not at idle). Not the AFM fundamentally breaking so the ECU thinks the throttle is open, which was the case with yours. Although that is a possibility.

Even if it is going the same way as Steves (which is a possibility), a good AFM should fix it. ;)

Edited by taylorspug

proaxis2
Have a look at the ecu where the loom plugs in if there are 3 rows of pins it's a 3 row if there are 2 then it's a 2 row.

Ok sounds quite self explanatory ;) , I'll have a look tonight.

Cheers

proaxis2
Are you after a 2 or 3 row?

It appears I'm after a 2 row please.

28CRAIG

Hi Adnic i will be at 205 parts until the afternoon doing a few bits to my car and grabbing the parts i can pm you my number and give me a call when you get back.

Proaxis2 Paul from 205 parts is going to lend me his 2row ecu for you to try out pm me your number and i will give you a call when i get back.

I also expect you both to come to the Milton Keynes meet: HERE ;)

28CRAIG

Hi Adam I have got the afm and a crank sensor for you to try but you will have to come over to mine as my oil pressure sender was faulty and the warning lights dont work and my engine had no oil in :)

Adnic69

Craig, that does not sound good!

If you need it or it helps I have a complete rebuilt bottom end with just over 20,000 miles on it.

Will come over during the week at some point, or should i say , cough, splutter and fart my way over.

Ad

28CRAIG

I might have that bottom end of you then and stick a 1.6 head on.

I finish work at 3.15 tomorrow so any time after that will be fine, what car was you going to have a look at then something more reliable than the 205 i hope :D

Sign in to follow this