• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RT19

Power Loss, Coughing Mystery!

Guest RT19

Hi Guys,

Having some trouble locating a problem with my standard issue 1.9. Perhaps some of you diagnostic buffs can shed some light?

Here is a description of whats going on;

>between 2 & 3 k revs she chokes and loses power, and again just before 4k.

>it's a lot worse when its wet.

>it's particularly noticable when she has to work, i.e. go up hill

>it's also a lot more noticable the higher the octane fuel used.

>new plugs improved the issue, but only very slightly.

>more recently her idling becomes erratic - going up and down - after the first 10 mins of driving, stalling if left unattended.

I'm no expert (by any stretch of the imagination!) but I was wondering if it was poss the HT leads failing?

Your advice would be appreciated.

welshpug

I'd hazard a guess at the ignition amp or coil, but seeing as the leads are cheap you might as well change them anyway if theyre unknown.

Edited by welshpug

Richie-Van-GTi

sounds like SAD or ECU temp sensor causing over fueling.

Longun

Are 1.6 SAD's/Temp sensor the same as 1.9s as I'm local and don't use either on my 1.6 you could use my old ones.

GLPoomobile
Are 1.6 SAD's/Temp sensor the same as 1.9s as I'm local and don't use either on my 1.6 you could use my old ones.

ECU Temp sensor are the same. 99% sure the SAD will be the same as well, or at least I can't see any logical reason why they be different for 1.6/1.9.

Ahl

I'd go with what Welshpug says. It sounds like its ignition related (though you never know), so try changing those parts first.

You can see if the HT leads are breaking down by looking at them in the dark - you'll see the electricity coming out of them.

Thats not to say that they are causing the problem though, it could still be something else, like the rotor arm, dizzy cap, coil or ignition amp...failling that, the cable that comes out of the side of the dizzy can also be problematic if it or its plug is damaged.

Guest RT19

Nice one guys.

Plenty there for me to chew on. Will start with the cheap stuff, leads and perhaps a new dizzy and see what happens.

Cheers all.

Matt

spikey_richie

I had a similar issue with my Mi. I'd be happily going along, then she'd start jumping and mis-firing and ALL the power would be gone. Then it'd come back again.

After a LONG day taking everything apart, changing parts and trying a new ECU it turned out to be the magnetic thing that sits in the top of the fly wheel (I'm not good with engines - someone will know the name of it).

We took it out, and cleaned off little bits of metal that were stuck to it. Popped it back in and she was back to her old self again.

welshpug

that'll be the TDC sensor, something the aforementioned 1.9 doesnt have

Edited by welshpug

spikey_richie

Shows how much I know about cars :)

brianthemagical

shows how easy/hard 205's are to fix.

Sign in to follow this