• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BuD

Gti6 Cooling System

BuD

Hi all,

I am currently doing a gti6 conversion on my 205 and I am a little unsure of the best way to do the cooling system.

I was pretty sure I had it all worked out - my plan was to use the setup below and additionally use the distribution block from the 205 engine to provide the extra inlet to attach the main expantion tank outlet to. However this doesnt seem that good anymore as the outlets on the back of the block come close to the exhaust manifold, also the pipe where the heater hose link pipe attaches (on the dist block) is at the wrong angle.

I am keeping the water to oil cooler on the gti6 engine and as I see it I need to find a way of connecting the 'filler' hose from the exp tank to the distro block. I could 'tee' into the main hose or maybe even try to modify the gti6 distro block (eg Drill big hole, hammer in a steel tube with some sealant around it).

Am I along the right lines? how have you done yours? - All help appreciated.

post-3325-1185833521_thumb.jpg

post-3325-1185833501_thumb.jpg

post-3325-1185833550_thumb.jpg

PS: is the oil cooler pipe work ok? - would it be better to 'tee' of the bottom hose rather than go back to the exp tank? (where the pipe to the TB would go on a 1.9gti)

Edited by BuD

Richie-Van-GTi

attachd an image below, stick with the water distribution block on with the 2 outlets, connect that metal pipe up to it with a piece of silicon hose. Put the other heater matrix hose on to the water distribution block. For the oil cooler use a 205 top hose with the 2 outlets that go to the oil cooler, that way it works as a heat exchanger so the oil warms up faster and maintains it temperature better.

normal_post-3325-1185833550_thumb.jpg

Another option would be just have one outlet from the top hose to the oil cooler and the 2nd one to the pipe I have labelled top of expansion tank, then just block of the extra expansion tank outlet on the top.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Alastairh

How i have done mine, thats run fine for 5k converted into the 205, that gets used daily and sits fine in traffic:

Top right expansion tank hose. This needs blocked off. Using a bung from a Zx Diesel air box makes it look spot on B)

Top left expansion tank hose. This goes to the top left of your rad like an 8 valve.

Bottom expansion tank. This needs T'ing. I done it to the top matrix hose. And works. I bought a pack of 2 copper t pieces from focus for £3 think they're the standard pluming size, what 22mm?

Heater matrix hoses. These need re directing towards the back 2 ports just below the head. You'll have to scrounge around to get a decent pipe to fit, and cable tie them neatly up away from the bananna manifold ;)

I didn't touch the back water distribution block of the metal pipe that runs above the exhaust, i'm fairly sure the Xu9 and 6 distribution blocks are different anyway, well they are on the S16 :D

Then obviously connect your bottom rad hose up like normal.

Then top rad hose is a bit more tricky. The pipe needs to bend down below the air filter ideally, so you need to make a pipe up and connect it all together. (When you put the rad in, you'll see what i mean).

The water oil cooler. I didn't bother because how you going to connect the second water pipe to the rad like they are on the 306?

Personally, chuck a proper oil cooler in :blush: And even still my oil doesn't get dangerously bad when winding the car upto 140. :lol:

Alastair

BuD

Thanks for the info guys.

Richie - I dont quite understand what you mean as it sounds like you are suggesting is - modify the metal pipe so that it doesnt have an outlet by the stat and and connect the bottom exp tank hose to it (as in your pic) and leave the other end of the metal pipe connected to the dist block. But you also say to connect one of the matrix hoses to the distro block. This seems to mean I need three ports on the distro block (as obviously the bottom hose must remain) but you say to keep the 2 port distro block?? (sorry for being dim).

Alastairh - so to clarify you tee'd into the rubber heater hose as it left the upper port of the stat housing, doesnt this make it hard to fill (as the pipe must have to curl up a bit or else be level) and shouldnt the coolant from the expansion tank be introduced low down by the water pump and not high up by the stat? (not saying you're wrong at all as the proof is the 5k you have done - just looking for answers :D )

Edited by BuD

Alastairh

Yeah your right thats how i have tee'd it off. I've got a pic at home somewhere.

As for filling, well fill the coolant up with the engine off, leave the cap off and keep filling giving the engine some revs and it'll be fine :D

Alastair

Matt Holley

I did mine like alistair but kept the oil cooler by using the front half of a bx mi16 bottom hose that has an extra pipe for the oil cooler.

Spiky

does this look ok to you guys ?????

post-9315-1186525819_thumb.jpg

BuD
does this look ok to you guys ?????

I dont know if that would work or not but I dont think its quite what most posts on here seem to advise.

I would T into the heater hose that goes to the distro block rather than take the bottom exp tank outlet to the other port on the stat housing. Then would put the other hose from the heater matrix onto the stat housing and block off that third outlet on the expansion tank.

This is more or less what I am doing with mine except I have modded the distro block to take the bottom exp hose (not tested yet tho). I am also probably going to use the 205 top hose with the 2 pipes off for the oil cooler, but your oil cooler setup is just as good (bx bottom hose I presume).

Alastairh

I edited your paint drawing last night, but my hosting site doesn't want to upload it as a bmp, but re read what my first reply was. But the right header tank is blocked off and not used, the top left one goes to the left top rad hose, and the bottom one is T'd into one of the heater matrix pipes.

Alastair

Spiky

like this then???

post-9315-1186571738_thumb.jpg

Matt Holley

You have teed the heater pipes together and that wont circulate, you need to tee the expansion tank into the heater pipe that goes on the black pipe at the back of the block, if you look, this black metel hose goes to the plastic peice by the water pump so it works basicly like the 8v

Alastairh

Spiky, sent you an email.

Alastair

funkymofo

which hoses did you guys use on the conversion? gti6 or 205?

I only got the top hose with my 6 lump but still have all the old ones out of the gti.

Spiky

thanks for the email

will sort this tonight

funky, i'm using the one gti6 from top rad to head,

then the rest are 205 ones'

except i'm just about to pop ot b&q to get some copper piping to use a t peice and for the pipe from the bottom rad to back of block

BuD

Great tip Alastair about the copper tubing - and thanks all for the help on this.

I have tried a slight deviation as said in my eralier post I have modded the housing to take the original 205 hose. I am going to buy a 205 with w\c oil cooler top hose and join this to the 306 hose and I am sorted!

post-3325-1186618410_thumb.jpg

Edited by BuD

Spiky

ok i've now pipe'd mine up like alistar said

fill the exp bottle up and opened and closed the bleed nippes on heater pipe and thermostat housing

start car

now this is where i'm getting a tad worried, it slowly pushed half a bottle of water out,

if you rev slightly when cold it pushed more and more out

now once fully warm and all air out and i put the cap on and there is say less than half a bottle if i start reving the car i can see it rising inside.

anyone have any ideas why it's? doing this???

the car dont get hot, it runs fine (not driven on road yet)

the fans come in and bring temp to normal and it's happy to do this all the time.

Alastairh

The way i do it.

Cap off with the engine switched off. Fill up, don't bother with the nipples. Switch on engine, Rev it with the cap off and keep filling so the water circulates, and give the main rad hoses a squeeze. Just keep you eye on it for 10 minutes and watch the bubbles come out, worked fine for me on a quite a few occasions aswell as others.

Alastair

Spiky

ok, will have a go that way later :)ok, will have a go that way later :D

Sign in to follow this