• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James_m

6x9's

James_m

Hi all

My rear 6x9's have started crackling, and firing gunshots by the sound of it, which is frankly a little scary when its not expected. :lol:

So, time for some new ones i think!

Im not really clued up on the audio world, so any advice would be apreciated!

They are for use in a stealth rear parcel shelf MDF thing, and i have a budget of around £50 give or take.

Here is a handy link for some options :wub:

linky

Im a little baffled by all the choices to be honest. What do we think people?

Cheers, James.

Oh, PS they are amped if that makes a difference, and im not really into Phat base.

DrSarty

Hi dude,

1) First off, IF it is your speakers which have developed a fault (which I think is unlikely), to be completely honest for up to £50 or even £100, I doubt you'll notice any difference whatsoever in performance regardless of brand or model. Truly, I mean that. Most stores including Halfords will sell a set for £50 or less which will be perfectly adequate.

2) Ref my first comment in point (1), speakers are generally pretty hardy things; they only have trouble when the amplifier, whether it's the one on your head unit or a seperate amp starts to send a crappy signal, basically because you're pushing it too hard. This crappy signal, perhaps caused by too much vol, having the bass control turned up or the loudness turned on, is called a clipped signal, is full of distortion and fries speakers. This popping is most likely a warning sign this is happening.

Perhaps it's the power handling figure of your current speakers, but they are usually pretty high unless they're dirt cheap s*ite. Most 6x9's boast a power handling figure of 200+ watts, which in the grand scheme of things is twaddle anyway.

There is an outside chance it's one of the little capacitors on the tweeters of your current speakers giving up the ghost, but as simple speaker swap will help identify the fault.

In short, I think you're driving your amp too hard, aka expecting too much. Either use your £50 for an amp to power them better if you're only using the inbuilt head unit amp, or spend on high power handling 6x9's.

Good luck and keep us posted eh?

Rich - from Afghanistan. :wub:

James_m

I ended up ordering some infinity 6x9's from ebay in the end, though havent received them yet. They were around £40ish so probably not going to be the greatest.....

The fact the 6x9's were never at fault sounds plausible though....

The entire sound system setup is somewhere around 10 years old looking at previous receipts, so its quite possible the amp is on its way out, and i know the head unit isnt what it was.....

Hmm, might have to bin everything short of the new 6x9's and start again :wub:

I will report back what the new 6x9's do anyway.

James.

James_m

Well, ive fitted the new ones, infinity 9613i's

Hmm, their ok.... definetly a lot more powerfull than the old ones, 100 RMS vs 50, 300 peak vs 200 but i dont really think they are any better for clarity.

Oh, and the 6x9's wasnt the problem causing my distortion, poor connections to the amp created that problem, guess i should have checked that in the first place :D

The extra strength of them does really highlight the difference between bitorrent'd cd's and originals, im actually going to bin the copied ones now, the quality is total rubbish!

Next on the list, new headunit :blush:

DrSarty

Am I allowed to say 'I told you so'? :)

Glad you've rectified the fault. Your use of the 'blush' smiley shows you know you could've checked amp wiring first, and then used your 6x9 purchase cash on the new head unit you want.

Good luck with your future upgrades. If you need any more advice don't hesitate to post or even PM.

Regards

Rich :)

Sign in to follow this