• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Clutch Change Problem.

AdamP

I'm changing the clutch on my 205 RG (1.4 TU3 engine MA gearbox) this weekend. Have got to the stage where I need to remove the driveshafts from the gearbox by pulling the hubs outwards, and have done so on the left (passenger) side, but there is a centre bearing on the right hand one which is part of the engine mount.

Paynes manual told me to loosen off the bolts holding the bearing into the engine mount, and remove the bolt attaching the mount to the subframe, all of which I have done. It then says 'Pull', which I am doing, but there is definately something solid holding the driveshaft in. Not sure whether its around the gearbox end or the centre bearing.

Help! What do I do?

Jrod

When you loosen the little 11mm bolts you need to push them in and rotate them 90degrees.

They are little hooks which hold the bearing and a right PITA.

Sandy

The bearing is usually slightly fused into the housing too, so once the bolts are out like Jrod says, get a blunt chisel or screw driver on the back of the bearing and tap it out with a hammer.

welshpug

I cant remember what the TU looks like underneath but the arrangement of the driveshaft is the same, the 2 bolts mentioned are shown in the picture below, loosen them to about 10mm from the end then push them towards the right of the car and rotate them through 180 degrees.

PICT0362.jpg

AdamP

Thanks guys :unsure:

I did the rotating bolts thing, made sure they were out of the way. Must be that the bearing is slightly siezed into the housing, i'll give it another go tomorrow. I thought it best to check first though before i broke something.

Adam

AdamP

Couldn't get the bearing to come out but managed to remove the gearbox without moving it. I then sourced the largest soft-faced mallet in the garage and gave it a 'gentle tap' on the gearbox end.... and it's out!

Sign in to follow this