• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Alternator Wiring

Phil

My alternator only had one wire connected (the main power cable from the starter). It was like this and my battery died last year - was it being over charged? With the wiring like this the battery light never lit up on the dash.

I have just fitted a red top (racing) battery and new wiring to help cure my starting problems. Whilst wiring it up I noted that I only had the one wire connected to the alternator. I found a stub of a wire coming out of the loom by the starter not connected to anything (kinda red-brown colour). With the ignition on this read 12v so I extended it and plugged it in to the spade connector on the alternator. Now with the ignition on the battery light shows on the dash and goes out with the engine running. With the engine running I am getting 14.4v across the battery at idle.

Should there be anything else connected to the alternator?

Is there a way of telling if it is over charging the battery?

Are my battery problems resolved? :unsure:

Thanks for any help!

Richie-Van-GTi

problem solved, just them 2 wires to alternator :unsure:

Phil

Excellent! Will this stop it overcharging? (If it was in the first place) Or is it purely for the dah light?

Richie-Van-GTi

just for the dash light as far as I understand the system. Battery dying was probably just the battery,if its overcharging you tend to find other issues before complete failure.

Mikey S

they wont usually charge without the smaller wire connected to them. iirc its an exciter wire. if it was overcharging you usually get an nice eggy smell from the battery.

Phil

Thanks guys.

Any think I can do with my multimeter to check the charging/overcharging? Dont want to kill the new battery!

Mikey S
Thanks guys.

Any think I can do with my multimeter to check the charging/overcharging? Dont want to kill the new battery!

if your getting 14.4 across the battery at idle, all is fine my friend. :unsure:

Rob_the_Sparky

You may not get 14.4 at tick-over, it may take a few more revs than that.

Sign in to follow this