• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kaich

Rev Limiter

kaich

in my 1.9 GTI the rev limiter reaches 6000-6200 rpm :D

i have under the bonnet these:

engine 1.9 8V D6B

AFM 0280202109

ECU 0280000359 bosh (LU2, right?)

I find out these

http://www.205gti.com/bosch/mods.htm

I also read in some thread that it is possible to erase rev limiter by cutting a diode in ecu, is it right?

I can't find wich diode....

VisaGTi16v

Could be your rev counter. If i move my needle so the rev limit is at an indicated 7200 as it should be, it idles at 1100 apparently, need to try a spare one if you have one

Richie-Van-GTi

I thought the 1.9 8v limit was 6250 anyway. The 16v revs to 7k and early 1.6's went to 6750. Thats just from memory and sure someone will let me know if Im wrong.:D

No point in revving any higher anyway on the 8v , it runs out of puff at 6k anyway.

kaich
I thought the 1.9 8v limit was 6250 anyway. The 16v revs to 7k and early 1.6's went to 6750. Thats just from memory and sure someone will let me know if Im wrong.:D

No point in revving any higher anyway on the 8v , it runs out of puff at 6k anyway.

right mate, I controlled and the 1.9 reach 6250 rpm (but mine also reach only 6000 :( )

so I think that the rev counter is ok, does anibody show me the way to pull away the rev limiter? :D

thanks!

makovice

It's not, because in ECU is value about 250 higher then it works :) ... I've changed it to 7000 and RPM meter stops on 6700 ;)

DamirGTI

Hi !

I have one modified ECU , and the rev limiter is also removed (you just need to cut one diode inside ...)

If you wish i can take a picture of the ECU , so that you can see which one you need to cut :)

(but if the engine is standard item i don't see any point in doing this ? ;) )

I can be the ignition amplifier also -> sending wrong signal to the ECU which then switch the rev limiter sooner on lower rmp than specified ...

Cheers ! B)

Damir

CaptainK

I can't get my 205 1.9 GTi to drive to the limiter in any gear. It normally runs outta puff and will go no further than 5500rpm and just makes nasty noises at me if I try for more. ;) (though on a rolling road it made it to just over 6000rpm once)

kaich
Hi !

I have one modified ECU , and the rev limiter is also removed (you just need to cut one diode inside ...)

If you wish i can take a picture of the ECU , so that you can see which one you need to cut :)

(but if the engine is standard item i don't see any point in doing this ? :) )

I can be the ignition amplifier also -> sending wrong signal to the ECU which then switch the rev limiter sooner on lower rmp than specified ...

Cheers ! :D

Damir

hi mate,

I have also two used ignition amplifier, I can try one of them...

if you can take a pic of you ecu, i'll thank you ! :lol:

cheers!

DamirGTI

Hi !

I've replace the ignition amp. (together with wiring/connector ..) year ago and after that the engine was a good bit revier then before :mellow: - try with some other ignition amp. But don't forget to apply thermal transfer paste at the back of the amp. surface (I've had before old "Bosch" MTR1 amp. , and fitted now "Magneti Marelli" MTR1 amp ..)

pics of the ECU (blue arrows pointing on the diode which you need to cut out – it's red color diode with blue head ! ) :

ecu1.jpg

ecu2.jpg

Hope this helps ! B)

Regards B)

Damir

kaich
Hi !

I've replace the ignition amp. (together with wiring/connector ..) year ago and after that the engine was a good bit revier then before :) - try with some other ignition amp. But don't forget to apply thermal transfer paste at the back of the amp. surface (I've had before old "Bosch" MTR1 amp. , and fitted now "Magneti Marelli" MTR1 amp ..)

pics of the ECU (blue arrows pointing on the diode which you need to cut out – it's red color diode with blue head ! ) :

ecu1.jpg

ecu2.jpg

Hope this helps ! :(

Regards B)

Damir

this pics help mate!

I'd would do this job because at now I' ve changed a little bit of item in my engine (exaust manifold, airbox, ecc)

so just cut that diode, it is a very fast job to do! :)

what about the two trimmer in the pics?

yesterday I've changed ignition amp but rev limiter doesn't change (5800-6000 rpm)

cheers

Edited by kaich

DamirGTI

Hello !

The two trimmers are famous Superchips DIY modification :( , you can read more about that here :

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e2-superchips.html

One trimer is for mixture adjusting on idle , other one is for off idle mixture , but again this is of no use in standard car/engine but not so bad if you have ported head ...

Strange :ph34r: either you have incorrect tachometer or maybe worn valve springs and because of that the engine doesn't want to rev no more from 5800 :(

One head dismantling - head components inspection - refreshing job might cure that me thinks :(

Cheers ! B)

Damir

kaich
Hello !

The two trimmers are famous Superchips DIY modification :D , you can read more about that here :

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e2-superchips.html

One trimer is for mixture adjusting on idle , other one is for off idle mixture , but again this is of no use in standard car/engine but not so bad if you have ported head ...

Strange :) either you have incorrect tachometer or maybe worn valve springs and because of that the engine doesn't want to rev no more from 5800 :excl:

One head dismantling - head components inspection - refreshing job might cure that me thinks :angry:

Cheers ! B)

Damir

I got it, thanks B)

so this is superchips mod! :excl:

next days i'll cut the diode so let's whats happen! B) I'm pretty sure thachometer is okay, or I hope :lol:

regards mate!

Sign in to follow this