• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Scottieb

Exhaust System With Supertrapp Silencer

Scottieb

Hi all,

I have a magnex stainless 4 branch manifold and i'd like to make an exhaust system up using a supertrapp rear silencer.

Has anyone done this? Do I need a normal silencer in the middle section two or can i get away with just the supertapp silencer at the back? Also what length supertrapp silencer would be best?

Also, can anyone recomend a good custom exhaust fabricator in the east anglia area?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

bales

When I was at uni we were going to use a supertrapp silencer on our Formula Student car and did a fair bit of research on them, but to be honest I personally am not very convinced about how good they actually are. They seem to provide a lot of backpressure and not a huge amount of silencing, they are a bit weird how they work as by adding discs you are actually increasing the orifice that the gas has to escape through so theoretically reducing backpressure. However looking at them they look very restrictive and I haven't really heard any opinions that they actually work well.

I would really probably just go for a good quality straight through silencer like Jetex as the one I have is built very well and makes a nice sound with just one silencer (though it is turbo'd). Before buying a supertrapp I would research them a bit more as they dont tend to be used on road cars and are mainly aimed at race cars...

Though as I say I don't have any evidence to say that they don't work but as I say at uni no teams used these and we had a sound limit of 110dB so silencing wasn't really an issue just a box that provided a little silencing and as little restriction as possible.

To answer your question I think just one in a N/A car would be very noisy without a middle box as they seem to be noiser than standard baffled boxes anyway.

Sign in to follow this