• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

1.6 And 1.9 Cams

skinner2k3

I have just realised that I may well have fitted a 1600 cam'd head to my 1900 engine.

The cam did not have the chamfered lobes so I assumed it was 1900. Have since found out this may not be the case.

Whats the difference? and what affect will it be having on my 1900 engine?

Cheers

Ben

skinner2k3

Cheers, so the lift should be the same but the duration is significantly less.

If I had a late (non-chamfered) 1600 cam and a 1900 cam side by side, how could I confirm which was which? Do they have any distinguishing markings or can I measure some part with a micrometer?

skinner2k3

If I have calculated it correctly the 115bhp 1600 cam inlet is open for approx 8% less and the exhaust 10% less. That sounds to me like a very good reason my 1900 engine seemed, er s*ite!

Is it worth me fitting a 1900 cam in this head or taking the head off and fitting a 1900 head. The 1900 head that was fitted had to come off as a spark plug shered off. Now its off the car I can hopefully get that out and re fit it.

The head bolts that are on there at the moment have done 100 miles max, but obviously have been stretched. Whats peoples opinions on reusing them? I know they are not that expensive but with a new head gasket and other odds a nd sods it all adds up.

Grim.Badger

I've only read up on cam changing, I haven't actually done it yet, but iirc it's not a difficult job. You also get a chance to put a new camshaft seal on which can't be a bad thing on such old engines.

Other than the cams there is no difference between the heads so I don't see the point in changing them over unless someone says it's a much easier job.

Have you still got the old cam? If not I have one that I could part with for a small amount :D

Richie-Van-GTi

swapping the cams is very straight forwards, no need to swap heads over as they are identical unless it was from the really early 1.6 which had the smaller valves (not very likely). If you stand the cams on end next to each other youmay be able to make out the slightly wider base circle on the lobes for the 1.9.

skinner2k3

I made a phone call to a very knowledgable chap from one of the firms who advertise on this forum and he didnt think the difference between the two cams would even be noticable.

The timing may be the cause of the lack in power as I know its is retarded, so I will have a play with that, then if its still feels flat will get a compression test done.

I do have a spare 1900 cam thanks.

Edited by skinner2k3

oliver17491

Hi, could anyone tell me where to find the engine code? as i just cleaned my head up of oil and noticed that the cam cover has writing on it that makes me think that its had another engine in it at some point.

thanks oli

Baz
Hi, could anyone tell me where to find the engine code? as i just cleaned my head up of oil and noticed that the cam cover has writing on it that makes me think that its had another engine in it at some point.

thanks oli

Writing could be std tbh, alot of 205's have a frenchman's scribble on from factory!! :)

The engine code, is on a tag below the top engine mount, adjacent to the alternator on the block at the level where the head joins. :angry:

oliver17491

Hi, thanks for the fast reply, is it a aluminium plate?

thanks oli

pug_ham
Hi, thanks for the fast reply, is it a aluminium plate?

thanks oli

Yes its a small silver & black alloy plate riveted to the block next to the r/h upper engine mount alongside the engine number.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this