• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Car Pulls To The Right

Rob_the_Sparky
Thanks Rob. That's a good point and one that I've neither thought of previously or heard mentioned by anyone else. Having said that, I'd have to drive a few miles to get to somewhere to do my tracking anyway, but if you live across the road from somewhere that'll do it then that's a different matter.

I probably only notice cause I do them on the drive then have to tweak them again later. You may well be right, if you drive a distance to get them set-up then it may not be a problem.

timb1046

sorry to kinda jack the topic but....... how the hell do you get the bushes out the wishbone?!?!?! mine are stuck solid! does this mean that there in good shape!?! if they are then i cant be arsed to replace them if there not broke!

A2TheA
sorry to kinda jack the topic but....... how the hell do you get the bushes out the wishbone?!?!?! mine are stuck solid! does this mean that there in good shape!?! if they are then i cant be arsed to replace them if there not broke!

i also would like to know. but my nearside bush needs replacing.

thanking you

jackherer

Being stuck in is no indication of their state of repair. They are very hard to get out, some people burn or drill the rubber out then hacksaw the metal band out and I've done it using metal tubes as drifts and a big vice as a press.

maturin23

or some lazier people take the wishbone and new bushes to their local garage and get them to press them in. Cost me £20 I think.

jackherer

I took mine to a garage a few days ago to be pressed out :wacko: It was also £20 but he fitted four F1s to a set of speedlines for me too.

In the past I've done them myself but I didnt have access to a vice this time and after an attempt at rigging a press using a hydraulic car body repair kit which resulted in the socket I was using as a drift shooting out and hitting me very hard in the head and drawing blood I gave up...

Jrod

LOL :wacko::lol:

sonofsam
Being stuck in is no indication of their state of repair. They are very hard to get out, some people burn or drill the rubber out then hacksaw the metal band out and I've done it using metal tubes as drifts and a big vice as a press.

Yeah this is how I did mine, burnt the rubber out and then cut through the metal collet, then smacked it out with drifts and punches, pretty similar to how you would do rear of rear beam mounts really.

Getting the new ones in was the real fun part :wacko:

Bonzai

i put the wishbone in a vice and used an appropriate sized socket and a BFO hammer to smash the bushes out

Daxed

£20 to have the bushes replaced sounds a bargain to me.

Took me the best part of a day to replace the brand new GSF bushes with higher quality items. I can only imagine that trying to remove old ones would be even more of a struggle.

The garage soon filled with noxious black smoke as I burnt the rubber away, having finally mastered lighting the small blow torch that seemed to have only two settings, either 'off' or 'thermic-lance'. Whilst re-enacting someone escaping from a burning plane wreck, carrying the flaming wishbone out into fresh air I did not notice that I was now dripping foul melted rubber solution onto my brothers nice new path. This being mainly due to my eyes streaming from the smoke. Cutting onions is more fun.

This then leaves A) a mess. :wacko: several small independent fires. C) four outer sleeves to be removed.

I took a break at this point to explain to the Fire Brigade and the next door neighbour that no, everything was cool, that yes I was aware my shoe was alight, and that I wasnt crying because I was upset

I had no joy trying to press the sleeves out using a combination of big vice, various sized sockets and a selection of bronze drifts. Things did improve on three of the sleeves following cutting through them with a hacksaw, once a blades width of material was removed they easily compressed and pressed out.

The remaining sleeve proved somewhat more problematical. I can only assume that a guy at the factory was having a laugh and decided to harden & temper a carbon steel sleeve, it was harder than Stuart Pearce. A selection of new top quality hacksaw blades wouldnt even scratch it.

£5 a bush to get someone else to do it? I wouldnt do yours for £20 each.

jackherer

I spoke to the person that removed my bushes in the local garage and it turns out he had an absolute nightmare with them! He reckons he couldn't get them on his press due to the shape of them so he had to drill and hacksaw them out so I fully agree with Daxed, £20 is a bargain :D

DrSarty
The garage soon filled with noxious black smoke as I burnt the rubber away, having finally mastered lighting the small blow torch that seemed to have only two settings, either 'off' or 'thermic-lance'. Whilst re-enacting someone escaping from a burning plane wreck, carrying the flaming wishbone out into fresh air I did not notice that I was now dripping foul melted rubber solution onto my brothers nice new path. This being mainly due to my eyes streaming from the smoke. Cutting onions is more fun.

This then leaves A) a mess. B) several small independent fires. C) four outer sleeves to be removed.

I took a break at this point to explain to the Fire Brigade and the next door neighbour that no, everything was cool, that yes I was aware my shoe was alight, and that I wasnt crying because I was upset

I had no joy trying to press the sleeves out using a combination of big vice, various sized sockets and a selection of bronze drifts. Things did improve on three of the sleeves following cutting through them with a hacksaw, once a blades width of material was removed they easily compressed and pressed out.

The remaining sleeve proved somewhat more problematical. I can only assume that a guy at the factory was having a laugh and decided to harden & temper a carbon steel sleeve, it was harder than Stuart Pearce. A selection of new top quality hacksaw blades wouldnt even scratch it.

£5 a bush to get someone else to do it? I wouldnt do yours for £20 each.

Absolutely excellent Daxed. RRRLMFAO B):lol: Brilliant matey. Things (read: misfortune based on good intentions) like this really crease me up. Please do something else like this and post about it. :D

timb1046

i got my bushes out, drilled the rubber, then hacksawed and chiseled the outer sleeve. took focking ages! im off to the garage to get them pressed in tomorrow,

Bonzai

must be a sign of how bollocks'd mine were then as they came out very easy for me, which makes a change!

Guest abdiesel

3/16th drill bit around the centre, knock out the centre then fold the outer metal sleeve in on itself and knock out. New bush in the a bit of copperslip and a quick bash with the best tool in the box.

The back bush is a pig as its got the metal re-enforcement, get plenty of drill bits.

Sign in to follow this