• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Can Anyone Tell Me What These Are For?

Baz

Hi, I'm attempting to re-fit an 8v engine back into a ph1 1.9 that had a 2.0 turbo fitted, but a few wires have been cut, i have a replacement loom for the majority that was missing, the engine sensors etc, but this little lot also comes out from under the expansion tank on the RHS of the bay;

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205...nt=DSC00036.jpg

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205...nt=DSC00034.jpg

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205...nt=DSC00028.jpg

I recognise the green one to be the rev counter shielded wire? and suspect most of the loose ones to be the Ignition amplifier wiring as that's clearly not present! A bit stuck at this point, and about what to do about the lack of a ign amp plug! :rolleyes:

Any ideas/help or guidance or even some pictures of how it should be showing the coloured wires etc, would be great! I hate wiring!! :lol:

t16ryan

P1 could it be for the tach relay ?? as they are near the battery tray ??

Baz

It's in the same group of wires for the Tachy relay as they al come out together from fuse box, under the expansion tank on ph1's, but the tachy relay itself has it's home still in it's box.

I have the whole loom now, basically coming from fuse box, up to the little box with the tachy relay etc in, then from white plug all the way round engine (injectors, tps, afm etc etc) then completeing the loop back through the bulkhead to where Ecu is mounted under dash and the 2 pin rev counter plug, i'm just stuck with those above, where the ign amp would be... :rolleyes:

Edited by BazGTMi

zowow

will have another look later but the brown plug with the three wires coming out of it are for sensors.

i know one is definately water temp. will fnid out for you later mate :rolleyes:

Baz

That would be ace, cheers! :ph34r:

d7ve_b

Having spent months messing around with phase one electrics I might be able to offer something.

- The brown plug with the three wires in it definately looks like the brown multi-plug. Off the top of my head I can't remember where this runs to but i'll try and have a look this week.

- The white plug could be the dizzy end of the low temperature cable that runs from the igntion amp. Mine is black and has two wires coming out if and looks like this

- The yellow and green cable looks like an earth which attaches to the base plate that holds the coil and ignition amp to the inner wing. Cable visible in this picture.

If it helps I can take some more pictures of the electrics on a phase 1? Mine is a 1.6 but I can't see it being that different?

Richie-Van-GTi

Im 99.9% sure I have an ignition amp plug in the garage, drop me a pm with addy if you want it posting down :unsure: FOC of course.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Baz
Having spent months messing around with phase one electrics I might be able to offer something.

- The brown plug with the three wires in it definately looks like the brown multi-plug. Off the top of my head I can't remember where this runs to but i'll try and have a look this week.

- The white plug could be the dizzy end of the low temperature cable that runs from the igntion amp. Mine is black and has two wires coming out if and looks like this

- The yellow and green cable looks like an earth which attaches to the base plate that holds the coil and ignition amp to the inner wing. Cable visible in this picture.

If it helps I can take some more pictures of the electrics on a phase 1? Mine is a 1.6 but I can't see it being that different?

Cheers Dave, very helpful. :unsure: My white plug only has one wire coming out of it, but it could just have one missing! Sure any more pics of how it should be would be excellent!

I haven't had a chance to get back on it in the last few days to scope it out a bit more but i'm now armed with a bit more knowledge for when i do! :)

Im 99.9% sure I have an ignition amp plug in the garage, drop me a pm with addy if you want it posting down :) FOC of course.

Excellent Richie, Pm on it's way! I don't have the plug for the ign amp, but i'm sure i can knock something up!

Miles

The 3 way brown plug is for the Water and Oil Temp,

I should be able to remeber what the rest are 4 if my brain starts working again

zowow
The 3 way brown plug is for the Water and Oil Temp,

I should be able to remeber what the rest are 4 if my brain starts working again

might be handy for me as mine is a bit dodgy aswell

knew they were sensor related and for guages.

Baz

Still haven't got to looking at it again yet, but Richie has very kindly offered parts of a loom that he has, which will no doubt help greatly! :D Anymore info appreciated though! :)

Baz

Got round to having another delve into the wiring tonight! Unfortuinately i'm no closer to knowing what's what, the ign. amp plug part of the loom that Richie very kindly sent me has different coloured wires to the ones that my loom has!! :lol: (as photo's in first post) So i'm pulling my hair out with it now!

The 3 wires from the Ign amp plug;

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205.../DSC00048-1.jpg

I hate electrics etc, it really is a weakpoint for me, but i refuse to be beaten!! There must be wiring diagrams or numbers/colours etc for these?

As it stand i'm thinking I have 2 options, short of giving up and breaking the car tbh!

1. Get my ph1 1.6 to compare/copy, a seemingly easy option, it's hopefully the same, but i think i may have to strip some of the car down to find the wire colours and where they go etc, which is a bit silly IMO! OR;

2. Get another whole ph1 loom from another car, and swap the 2 over, a right PITA though as i was looking at it tonight, lots of plugs into the fuse box, wires entering/exiting the N/S of the car and going over under the dash to the O/S, etc etc, lots of painstaking fiddly, dash out, unpicking/feeding wires, then replacing all again... :D

Any help still would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Edited by BazGTMi

Daz_C

I wouldn't bother with that Ign amp wiring, just get another one, they are only short looms and (well on mine anyway) isn't all taped into the main loom. Ign amp sits on wing plug comes off to dizzy, then there are 3 wires.

Short Earth Wire fixes to plate or somewhere,

Wire To Coil (Negative Side I Think)

And the other goes to the female side of the white plug you have, Its ignition live mine has 2 wire coming out of it the one is to the amp and the other goes to the + on the coil.

If I can get my camera back today I'll post a pic up of it.

Nowt a good rumage around a scrapy won't sort out as these aren't specific to just GTI models if I recall.

Baz
I wouldn't bother with that Ign amp wiring, just get another one, they are only short looms and (well on mine anyway) isn't all taped into the main loom. Ign amp sits on wing plug comes off to dizzy, then there are 3 wires.

Short Earth Wire fixes to plate or somewhere,

Wire To Coil (Negative Side I Think)

And the other goes to the female side of the white plug you have, Its ignition live mine has 2 wire coming out of it the one is to the amp and the other goes to the + on the coil.

If I can get my camera back today I'll post a pic up of it.

Nowt a good rumage around a scrapy won't sort out as these aren't specific to just GTI models if I recall.

Sorry do you mean get another whole loom, or just the 3 wire'd ign amp plug/dizzy plug looms? -because that's the part i have from Richie, with the 2 pin dizzy plug coming from it, but the 3 wires from it are not the same colours as any of my spare wires!

Pics etc would be great, cheers. :D

Daz_C

No not the whole loom just this bit

16082007116.jpg

To be honest it really doesn't matter what colour the wires are as it isn't directly part of the loom ? The only things out of the main loom to here is Ign Live and Rev Counter wires ? Maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick maybe ? I'm using my 1984 205 as reference :lol:

Baz

Ah right thanks, i have that part, only without the white plug and not a clue until your pic where those go, so it helps a bit in that respect, cheers! :lol:

Any more for any more though? Anyone remembered or can rack their brains for the rest of the wires?

Daz_C

I have had another look about but as mine is in bits and has been for a while :lol: Its all looking abit vague to me at the moment.

But concerning that brown plug - I haven't got one of those for the temp sensors my wires come directly out of the loom, The only brown plug I can see at present in that area is for the Radiator fan rheostat which sits on top of the wing.

If you can find the wire numbers for all your wires and post them up it would be a help as I have an old Haynes Manual where (to me anyway) the wiring diagrams are extremely easy to read and I could have a mooch through and try and be abit more helpful ............. maybe.

welshpug

try PM'ing Pugtop, he's got 4 P1 cars :lol:

Sign in to follow this